home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » 1st trail race in July

1st trail race in July

RunningMurse
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wed 10 Apr 2013 03:45 am GMT   topTop
This will be my 1st long distance trail race (25K). Just curious as to what kind of training plans/training any of you have used for this race?

And as far as shoes I've been told multiple times that the new balance minimus work pretty well for trails. Any of you have experience with these?

Thanks, Ben
wayouthere
wayouthere
Utah, United States
Posted: Sun 05 May 2013 07:14 pm GMT   topTop
I use new balance minimus on very technical terrain. They work well, but if not used to running in them, will need to transition. I use altra zero drop alot in my training as well. Have had no shin splint problems since going to a more flat shoe.
just1gear
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Mon 20 May 2013 08:58 pm GMT   topTop
The type of training required for your race will depend on a few things, mainly, your condition and the course condition. Are you relatively new to running? Do you typically run on trails or road? Is the race on a well groomed/maintained trail or not so much? Does the course have significant elevation change or is it relatively flat?

As far as shoes, the answer is entirely based on opinion. The NB Minimus may be the best shoe for me but a not so good shoe for you. Are you accustomed to a minimalist type shoe? What shoes have you been running in? Have you experienced any foot problems during your training runs?
Russellruns
California, United States
Posted: Sat 25 May 2013 07:23 am GMT   topTop
I ran for a while in the nb minimus. Absolutely loved the fit, but they were very hard on the feet with no cushion on the sole. I do think they make you a better runner because of the increased proprioception. My main complaint was durability. I ran about 175 miles in mine before the soles absolutely came apart. NB did a great job on the service side though and gave me a new pair with no hassle. I have moved to the brooks pure grit, same drop and a lot more cushion on the sole. Still a wide toe box. I think the pure grit is a better choice for longer, rocky trails in my opinion.
Russellruns
California, United States
Posted: Sat 25 May 2013 07:24 am GMT   topTop
I ran for a while in the nb minimus. Absolutely loved the fit, but they were very hard on the feet with no cushion on the sole. I do think they make you a better runner because of the increased proprioception. My main complaint was durability. I ran about 175 miles in mine before the soles absolutely came apart. NB did a great job on the service side though and gave me a new pair with no hassle. I have moved to the brooks pure grit, same drop and a lot more cushion on the sole. Still a wide toe box. I think the pure grit is a better choice for longer, rocky trails in my opinion.

Dirtruns.com