home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Cycling jersey for trail running ???

Cycling jersey for trail running ???

GravelMN
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tue 31 Mar 2015 02:11 am GMT   topTop
I'm a cyclist and want to get into trail running. I was wondering if anyone has used a cycling jersey for trail running. My jerseys are close fit but not tight, of a fast drying/wicking material, have 1/4 or 1/2 zip fronts for ventilation and three pockets across the lower back to carry a cell phone, keys, snacks, etc. Has anyone tried this? Would it look ridiculously out of place?
TMPRNR
New York, United States
Posted: Tue 12 May 2015 02:57 am GMT   topTop
I wouldn't care so much how it looks, but the benefit of the pockets will likely be lost with the bouncing and bounding along on the trails.
mtrogersTrailrun
mtrogersTrailrun
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 25 Aug 2015 03:12 pm GMT   topTop
I have seen others and have myself run in cycling jackets. The pockets are not incredibly useful as TMPRNR alluded to.

[edited: Tue 25 Aug 2015 03:13 pm]
pizza_pal
Indiana, United States
Posted: Fri 01 Jun 2018 02:28 pm GMT   topTop
I'm also a cyclist who got into trail running.

I ran a 50k and wore a cycling jersey. It wasn't bad, but it was a full-length zip jersey and I think the zipper chaffed my navel which led to a minor, but unpleasant, infection the following week. I didn't have anything bounce out of the pockets, but it didn't feel very secure--I was checking my back pockets regularly to make sure everything was still there. If there's one of those zippered key pockets, definitely put your keys in that one!

On the plus side, if you're a cyclist, you're going to be used to retrieving gels and other items from your back pockets, so it's nice to have that familiar action to rely on.

I definitely wouldn't wear a jersey that you like a lot, or is one of those really sheer summer grimpeur-fit ones because it's liable to get torn on a branch or something.

Definitely saw a few other folks at the 50k doing the cycling jersey thing, including one guy wearing an old school Mapei jersey, which was cool.

Also, for colder weather, I very frequently wear my long-sleeve fleece-lined cycling jersey over a base-layer.