home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Intro.

Intro.

xterrabuzz
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Fri 03 Sep 2010 07:42 pm GMT   topTop
Hello Everybody. Been a long time reader of this forum but very very new to ultra running but not to endurance sports(triathlon and mtb'ing). Have decided to make 2011 the year of the ultra with a goal to complete one 25miler,one 50miler(Superior Trail Sept 2011), and one 50k in Oct.

Have completed one 50 miler the Superior Trail 50miler Sept of 04 but was ill prepared and the Superior Hiking trail handed my ass to me-with a finishing time of 13hours. Oh well live and learn.

Will be following the training schedule found at www.desertskyadventures.com. I like this plan due to the nice slow build up in mileage. But if any of the veterans have a better resource I would greatly appreciate it.
themud
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:01 pm GMT   topTop
I only do 3 runs per week max. 2- 8 milers, one on Tue., one on Thurs. and whatever catches my fancy on Sat. 9-22 miles, shorter if my race is going to be shorter, longer for longer. The 8s have a mix of some speed (for strength) and sometimes some light tempos in the long ones. I do deadlifts, cleans, box jumps, push ups, pull ups, dips etc on other days if I feel like it. I do not like the gaunt/anerxic look so I keep my % around 9, and I am 5/8 155, 38yr old male. I have yet to run an ultra over 60 (don't like sleep dep), but this schedule has kept me injury free and primed anytime of the year. I throw in a triathlon here and there as well.

[edited: Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:03 pm]