home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Lower back seizes up when running.

Lower back seizes up when running.

gerrykate
strabane, United Kingdom
Posted: Tue 18 Jan 2011 08:54 pm GMT   topTop
Hi, can anyone plz help me? Have just started road running over the last year and have done a couple of 10k s. My problem is that most times when i am running my lower back seizes up and i have 2 walk for a couple of mins until it comes round. I have no trouble when running on a treadmill and i cycle and do Karate so i am active enof. I wear proper running shoes and keep my head up when i run. PLZ CAN SOMEONE HELP...
ALTRjeff
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sun 23 Jan 2011 11:30 pm GMT   topTop
How are ur core muscles? I would think ur imbalanced, strengthening ur core will make a major difference in how u carry urself while running. Also get off the roads, they will tear u apart...... this is a "trail" forum site.
PranaFlo
PranaFlo
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Wed 02 Feb 2011 12:39 am GMT   topTop
totally on-board with the last response. Strong core most definitely supports a healthy back and trails are darn sure the place to be. Might also want to consider looking at other parts of your life that might be setting you up for a seized up back on your runs...too much time sitting at a desk? posture? activities that cause strain? too much stress? Good to look at the whole picture...
andypaul
United Kingdom
Posted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 08:13 pm GMT   topTop
Totally agree with the strengthening of the core. Also you may need to work on your flexibility. I did karate for many years and was strong and flexible but not where I needed to be for other sports. Maybe you are too tense. I was and it took a while to loosen up whilst running.
mtrogersTrailrun
mtrogersTrailrun
Washington, United States
Posted: Thu 14 Jul 2011 03:50 pm GMT   topTop
A good exercise for your lower back is the "good morning." Here is video of the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUpOZnhS4FI&NR=1. I am not a fan of lifting weights but I use this as well as a few others to help keep a balanced core. I highly recommend starting out really light.