home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » New Member

Dragonheart
Dragonheart
Texas, United States
Posted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 12:25 pm GMT   topTop
Hi all you trail junkies!

I am new to the forum. I am fortunate to live in an area where the forest and pine straw laden trails are just right out the door. At 46, I am working to get back into shape and loose weight. My farthest run-walk so far is 15.5 miles. I am wanting to improve and go further. I am working to increase my long run by a mile a week. Working up to complete (hopeful) a 20 mile trail run event in the Pineywoods of East Texas in May. I am hungry for info on running longer. My longer term goal is to run-walk a 50 miler by 2020 when I turn 50 years old...

[edited: Sat 02 Apr 2016 12:27 pm]
Aaryno
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 01:39 am GMT   topTop
Just keep running :-) actually make sure you find time to rest and alternate your long Run so that each Sunday you're doing a long run but every other Sunday is a long long run. Make your long run in the weekend 25-35% if your total weekly mileage. Don't push too hard, just lots of easy miles. Breathe 3 steps per breath, or be able to hold a conversation while you run. Pay attention to your body. And avoid overuse injuries as your tendons and muscles adapt to the stress. Every third week scale back the mileage a bit and always take a rest day if you are worn down or feeeling like you're at the breaking point. You may be 45 but you still have good scares of running in you so don't rush it. compliment with strength work of your core, flutes, hams... lunge matrix, leg lifts, push-ups, scorpions are all good.
DGrav
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thu 31 Dec 2020 09:27 am GMT   topTop
Hello. I am new here, just thinking about the next marathon. I was sick for a long time, so now I am also going back to training. I am planning a spring marathon, so I hope it works out.