home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Top Ipod Music Choices

Top Ipod Music Choices

gzagar
California, United States
Posted: Tue 27 Aug 2013 06:01 pm GMT   topTop
Looking for everyone's top 10 songs for trail running....I realize there are different phases of the run where a song fits amazing (warm-up, intervals, bonking/tired, home stretch, cool down) but I want to see if there are some cant-miss songs out there that I should give a try? (What do I listen to on a run?...Trapt, Hinder, Evans Blue, ZZ Top, you name it!)
Thanks!
Kate
Kate
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sat 01 Nov 2014 09:07 pm GMT   topTop
I prefer shows; unlike my congested, schedule-oriented professional life, running facilitates separation from the ubiquitous distractions of the outside world that, in turn, allows unprecedented focus on a sustained performance: I can feel the ebb and flow of a complete show while coming as close to an actual audience participant as possible.

That being said, I'm a Deadhead, so I'm constantly listening to a variety of shows from my favorite years (68-74 and 77); however, recently, I've been fixated on 78, with repeated patronage of a couple of my favorites from that year - 5/14 (soundboard) and 12/31 (commercial release/Closing Winterland (WOOT!))).

Lately, I've been branching out and during the 10 miler I referenced while responding to Benky on another thread, listened to 10 Years After live at the Fillmore East '70...an absolute jam-fest monster!

Yeah, my tastes are decidedly non-generational (as of this post I'm a few months shy of age 30), but, as with Romantic classical, I find little - if anything - in the current day that matches the brilliance of the so-called "classic rock" period (though, even now, VH1 is lumping 80s bands like Van Halen into this category {{{sigh}}})./ Great idea for a thread!/Kate

[edited: Sat 01 Nov 2014 09:10 pm]
Kate
Kate
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tue 11 Nov 2014 02:59 am GMT   topTop
Blair Jackson once described the GOGD as musical expression in the Jazz idiom utilizing a Rock'n'Roll syntax...and, after about 4 years of deadicated listening on an almost exclusive basis, I began to branch out in search of complex music that would yield the same profound degree of satisfaction.

My first discovery, sometime around the turn of the new year, was the vast ocean - or, perhaps more accurately, cosmos - of Romantic classical music, though I quickly discovered that, for me at least, this genre makes a poor running companion. Then around June the winds of fortune changed and I discovered Jethro Tull, with IA's intellect, clever lyrical composition, and wholly unique artistic signature. Most recently, this Fall, I've truly stumbled upon a vein of GD contemporaries within the genre of improvisational "rock", to include Cream, Canned Heat, Ten Years After, and the Allman Brothers Band (pre Duane's passing)...this - that is, competent musicians with something to say and the courage to risk an open-ended, improvisational dialogue on-stage - comprises my optimal acoustical accompaniment during runs...and the longer, the better (for both songs/shows and mileage!)/k

Edit: Recommendations: ABB - Complete Fillmore East '71 Box (you'll bequeath it to your children); Canned Heat - Live Europe ('70) and Live Monteaux ('73); Ten Yrs After - Recorded Live, Live at the Fillmore East, and Undead; Cream - oh heck, just purchase the Those Were The Days box set, which contains nearly their entire catalogue of commercial studio and live releases (I've come to the conclusion that their studio albums were simply a way to pass time between tours, as Cream had absolutely NO business releasing 2-4 minute versions of anything!)/K2

[edited: Tue 11 Nov 2014 03:05 am]
gzagar
California, United States
Posted: Tue 18 Nov 2014 03:56 pm GMT   topTop
Thanks Kate! Appreciate the suggestions...I'll try to work some of these into my routine! Happy trail running in Kentucky!
Kate
Kate
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Fri 28 Nov 2014 05:49 am GMT   topTop
gz - kind of you to say, but I've reconciled that fact that my musical tastes - especially for my age demographic - are far beyond the pale of current conventionality. Good luck in Cali! If you ever get sick of parched earth and find yourself wondering what precipitation looks like, just come join us here in the verdant East! /K
nw11
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sun 13 Oct 2019 09:21 pm GMT   topTop
Books on tape. Well, er, on Mp3. I love music but getting involved in a good book totally zones me out.

That said I suggest the first Tony Williams Lifetime album en total or "The Time Lord" EP by forgotten british Celtic doomers Pagan Altar.