home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Walk breaks

Walk breaks

bellau
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wed 11 Aug 2010 12:06 am GMT   topTop
Can anyone tell me what kind of run/walk ratio they use for an ultra. Have read several different articles on the subject and there are many different ideas on this subject, all the info is confusing!
PGSport
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Wed 11 Aug 2010 04:20 pm GMT   topTop
Heck I think there are many options. I keep it simple -- throw in a walk before the body gets too stressed, walk for a short period but keep the walk at an easy pace so your body relaxes back to a natural state and then get on with the running again. Don't forget to stretch or massage out some soreness. Its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.
mrpistol
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Sat 28 Aug 2010 04:52 am GMT   topTop
walk it out, just walk it out...it'll be allright
themud
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:04 pm GMT   topTop
I do deep knee bends as well or squats, this helps the sarcomeres reach length again within the fibers. feels good and refreshes
Mannie
Texas, United States
Posted: Tue 02 Nov 2010 07:53 am GMT   topTop
I like to keep either a 20-25/5 min run/walk ratio. I alter it depending on how I'm feeling, but I try not to over/underdo it.
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Thu 11 Nov 2010 03:58 pm GMT   topTop
I like the 20 minute to 5 minute ratio BUT if it is hilly (which most places where I run it is more often than not) I power walk all the steep hills and run the rest.

There is no point walking a downhill or running an uphill just because it is "time" to either run or walk.