home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » camelbak

camelbak

bellau
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sun 17 Jan 2010 04:50 pm GMT   topTop
Does anyone use a camelbak to train/race? I am doing a 50 mile run in August and am new to ultra distance. The aid stations are sometimes 5 miles apart and wondered if a camelbak would be a good option for hydration and to carry extra nutrition. Any help is appreciated!
clydesdalerunner
clydesdalerunner
California, United States
Posted: Sun 17 Jan 2010 05:14 pm GMT   topTop
I use a therma camelbak. It keeps the.water in the pouch and hose cold. It takes a few runs to get use to the pack on your back, but once you do the benefits out way the glunky thing on you back.
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Mon 18 Jan 2010 09:33 pm GMT   topTop
I've used a Camelback for years - I have two: a lumbar pack and a backpack-style pack. I use the former for shorter runs. They've worked just fine for me. But mine are older models and I'm sure they've updated them. I've also been eyeing the latest from Nathan products, as they look very light and breathable and are designed for runners (vs biking); but I don't like that they tend to have little extra storage space. For races where you aren't carrying much station to station I guess it's fine, but for training runs alone out on the trails I like to be more prepared and carry some emergency items.
trailhorse
Idaho, United States
Posted: Fri 05 Feb 2010 04:48 am GMT   topTop
As a long time ultrarunner, I would recommend hydration vests made by either Nathan or Ultimate Direction. These are specifically made for running and they have perfected the product--they fit remarkably and don't bounce when fully loaded or lightly loaded. Camelbak makes good packs, but the fit is more geared toward mountain biking and hiking. For a race with aid stations 5 miles apart, you might be able to get away with a hand-held water bottle and a small waist pack or hydration vest (used w/o the bladder) to carry any other nutrition items you might need. Good luck!
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Fri 02 Apr 2010 05:10 am GMT   topTop
I have to emphatically second Trail horse's endorsement of the Nathan Hydration system.

I have used Camelback for all my outdoor needs for over 15 years. I needed an new running pack. My old Camel back Flash flow was worn out after 6 years of hard use. I had a gift certificate to Road Runner sports and they do not carry camelback, so with much reluctance I ordered a Nathan hydration pack.

All I can say is WOW. this thing is great. I have no regrets. is holds 70 ox. It has enough pockets but is not to big. It only weighs 6oz dry and it doesn't bounce around at all. I will continue to use Camelback for all my other outdoor pursuits...EXCEPT running.

GOOD LUCK and GOOD RUNNING
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Sat 03 Apr 2010 06:25 am GMT   topTop
Good endorsement/review, Honkey - thanks.
PranaFlo
PranaFlo
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Wed 02 Feb 2011 12:57 am GMT   topTop
Agree that Nathan and Ultimate Direction make outstanding trail running hydration products but don't sell CamelBak down the river yet for trail running. CamelBak's 2011 line includes a new hydration pack designed for trail runners...the CamelBak Octane LR. The water sits lower down in the lumbar region to avoid the washing machine experience sometimes experienced with other hydration packs. Still has the 70 oz reservoir and weighs less than a pound empty.

Here's a link to a gear review if interested: http://pranaflo.com/blogs/news/2352722-gear-review-camelbak-octane-lr
geoffspakes
Colorado, United States
Posted: Fri 04 Feb 2011 10:00 pm GMT   topTop
Check out the Osprey Hydraulics line of hydration packs. I have both a Manta 20 (3 liters) and a Raptor 10 (2 liters), both fit very comfortably and ride well. In addition the magnetic bite valve is pure gold.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/