home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Nutrition supplements

Nutrition supplements

azmotobrat
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wed 07 Apr 2010 06:02 pm GMT   topTop
I am new to the forum but not to running. For years I have been watching markets for a suitable before or on-the-go recovery supplements for running. I have tried mixes of nitros, protein, B- group... anything I could find and mix in the blender.
My primary activity is off-road (mostly desert) motorcycle riding, and I do a lot of trail running just to develop and sustain strength, endurance and shape. My usual wekend run lasts 4-5 hours, up in the mountains of AZ or SoCal. A little shorter on weekdays.....
Unfortunately whatever one can find off the shelf is nothing but bunch of sugar- packed so called energy boost. All it does is gives you sugar buzz, drains your muscle tissue and at last tastes terrible. In general I am not fond of sweets (strange for a girl, but I would rather treat myself with good European cheese, jerkey and sushi than cookies and candies). I have used some of my gym stuff, but I am afraid most of it is not geared up for the instant recovery and support mostly weight training type of activity.
What I am looking for is not a fake "carbo-energy boost" but rather a good on- the-go instant muscle recovery, protein and oxygen infusion, minerals restoration and metabolic rev-up. And something that doesn't taste like girl scout cookies....
Any thoughts to share?

[edited: Wed 07 Apr 2010 06:04 pm]
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wed 07 Apr 2010 06:36 pm GMT   topTop
Let me get it out of the way by saying that "instant muscle recovery" doesn't exist.

The next thing everybody wil tell you is that it's an individual thing and that you have to keep experimenting. Also true.

What you need to do is develop a fueling plan that works for you and then eat small amounts right along so you don't get "down." What works for me may not be good for someone else but I like liquid food because my stomach tolerates it better than solids. Hammer Pereteuem and EFS Liquid Shot are worth a try.

After all that...you might try Hammer Endurance Amino capsules. (Long tablets, actually.) I like what these have done for my mental alertness in really long races, at night. No financial interest. Just FWIW.

Keep experimenting. Good luck.
azmotobrat
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thu 08 Apr 2010 02:28 pm GMT   topTop
Thanks for the info, I certainly will try Hammer products. I checked the website, it looks very promising. I usually add some potassium and water retaining tablets. There is one thing that makes your muscles go totally ballistic is dehydration. No matter how much you drink. Although it is much easier to breathe and cool down by evaporation in dry heat, 100 degrees and 6% humidity tend to vaporize every drop of water you consume. But apparently potassium and minerals are not enough...

[edited: Thu 08 Apr 2010 02:34 pm]
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Thu 15 Apr 2010 08:25 pm GMT   topTop
I use GU, eat bananas and drink water and Gatorade.

I haven't tried Hammer Products but I would not be opposed. The dizzying array of choices has scared me away from Hammer products, but I think I will give their web site a gander and see what they have. I am very happy with what I use, but I will always try something new.

Keep in mind I am just a slow marathon runner, recreational trail runner and an aspiring ultra runner.

Good Luck
azmotobrat
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thu 22 Apr 2010 04:24 pm GMT   topTop
Definitely, water. Where I live you can disrespect any part of your outdoor gear (maybe not shoes), but minimum 70 oz Camelback is a must, a top priority. But I stay out of Gatorade by all means. It is nothing but overdoze of simple sugars ("bad" carbs!), artificial flavour and color. It does not provide any nutrients to actually recover your muscles, and therefore your muscle tussue, all that nice lean ripped meat that you have been working hard to put on, wears out and slugs you down, especially when the first hit of sugar buzz is over. That's why I brought up this thread: most of available OTS products out there sound more like simple sugars, candy and such, but not really what athletes need.
I started taking Endurance Amino by Hammer in a combination with Muscletech Nitric Oxide. The Tissue Rejuvenator might be the next I will add to the "menu". Obviously, my daily protein (not soy). I just did 4 weeks cycle of Primal Test by Panthera Labs, got some extra miles, extra speed and added few more pounds and reps to my workouts.

[edited: Thu 22 Apr 2010 04:26 pm]
KL
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tue 17 May 2011 04:45 pm GMT   topTop
I have just the product for you to try. Orbana Healthy Energy is a sustained release energy fuel that you take 20 mins before you run and then every 1:40 while you are out and after as a recovery drink. It is the perfect balance of complex carbs, no spike sugars, electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and a little protein. In six months of training with Orbana I was able to take 10 minutes off my marathon time and recover quicker than ever. It tastes great and has not stimulants or perservatives.
Mattk
Texas, United States
Posted: Sun 29 May 2011 03:42 pm GMT   topTop
Infinit Nutrition! Customized formal to meet any need. I have 3 formulas; 2 depending on distance and heat, and 1 for recovery. The cost per serving isn't much more than all those gu's out there. Check it out.
egc
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tue 06 Mar 2012 03:14 pm GMT   topTop
Quite honestly, your best answer is to eat real food---skip the supplements and packaged products completely. Too many people waste way too much money on expensive products that do no more for you than what a good solid meal can fix. If you're coming off a 4-5 hour run on the weekend sit down to a meal that sounds good, smells good and tastes good--your body and recovery time will benefit greatly.
markedjar
California, United States
Posted: Fri 15 Nov 2013 04:14 pm GMT   topTop
It's extremely important to replenish carbohydrates and electrolytes for any run over 90 minutes long, otherwise you will bonk! I found a cool recipe for a hydration drink here: http://creationbasedhealth.com/2013/10/homemade-electrolyte-sports-drink-pina-colada.html It's better if you make you own, because you know exactly what's in it and how it works. Also, I'd recommend getting plenty of protein every day to help rebuild all your cells that you're tearing down. Whey protein is one of the best sources, and you'll need about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.