home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Pedometer HELP!!!

Pedometer HELP!!!

UnTrended
Texas, United States
Posted: Mon 06 Apr 2009 11:17 pm GMT   topTop
I just purchased the Omron HJ-303 ($40) from REI. This is my first pedometer and I got it exclusively for trail/road RUNNING (to know my distance traveled).. After reading through the manual I discovered that it said that you CAN use it for jogging... Kind of implying that it is primarily to be used for walking. I was wondering what is the best pedometer for running. Or if any runner could tell me what they use to track their distance, especially on the trail, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
JoJo
JoJo
United Kingdom
Posted: Tue 07 Apr 2009 04:27 am GMT   topTop
Hello! Perhaps a GPS rather than a Pedometer would be better? From what I have heard, Garmin is very good : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=348 . I have a Navman myself, but I find it a little heavy - it attaches to the arm, around the bicep, but I would rather have a wrist watch-type. Hope that helps a little!

[edited: Tue 07 Apr 2009 04:27 am]
JoJo
JoJo
United Kingdom
Posted: Tue 07 Apr 2009 04:30 am GMT   topTop
Oh, and Suunto seems to be quite popular with my friends here, actually. http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/index.jsp?bmLocale=ja_JP - Sorry if it comes up in Japanese!
UnTrended
Texas, United States
Posted: Tue 07 Apr 2009 04:53 am GMT   topTop
Thanks. I may need to go GPS. I saw a pretty sweet suunto w/ gps and a lot of other features for almost $600. But I was trying not to spend that much. I was trying to get a watch w/ heartrate monitor, altimeter, barometer, etc. and pedometer under $300. I may need to rethink my monetary plan. It's better to spend a little more to have good dependable gear than buying cheaper and regretting it. Thanks for your help.
adkeditor
New York, United States
Posted: Tue 07 Apr 2009 01:23 pm GMT   topTop
Nike Sportband and the Nike+iPod are two other options.
JoJo
JoJo
United Kingdom
Posted: Tue 07 Apr 2009 11:58 pm GMT   topTop
OK! If you think you will continue running for a long time to come, then spending a little extra on something that will last is a good idea I think. Always nice to have something shiney and new as well :) If it doesn't work out for you then you can always sell it and get some money back from it on amazon or something perhaps.
Oldc0r3
Oldc0r3
Texas, United States
Posted: Thu 14 May 2009 07:00 pm GMT   topTop
I have the Garmin 305, it sells for about $200 at Best Buy. It works great, it even finds signals out in the woods, but it has a foot pod if you can't get a signal. It was a great investment and helps keep me motivated.