home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Shoes for a big runner

Shoes for a big runner

clydesdalerunner
clydesdalerunner
California, United States
Posted: Mon 27 Jul 2009 01:28 am GMT   topTop
I'm looking for the right shoe for my first Ultra. I will be running in the H.U.R.T. 100 in Hawaii, and wanted to get some peoples oppinion on running shoes. I'm 6'5 235 and wear size 15. So that usually narrows my search for the right size. What is a good shoe that has protection from rocks? Any suggestions would be great. I was looking at the NB 909, NB 875, or the ASICS Gel-Trail Attack.

Mahalo-
falconsooner
Texas, United States
Posted: Mon 27 Jul 2009 03:15 am GMT   topTop
Clydesdale:

I am 6'8" and 235 with size 15 so understand your search. This is all strictly my experience. I have had a couple of NB and it seems like the cushioning doesn't hold up for me but my 220 friend loves his 875s. Another friend of my who is exactly your size likes Brooks Cascadias but I didn't find them to be good on rocks but he does fine with them and we run the same trails. On rocky, rugged trails I like Merrell Cruise Controls (very wide forefoot). A little heavy but protective. For a lighter shoe. I just got a pair of Saucony XODUS that I like (good cushioning and decent on rocks).
clydesdalerunner
clydesdalerunner
Posted: Mon 27 Jul 2009 03:33 am GMT   topTop
Thanks for the reply. I have not had any real problems with NB, but i just wanted to see what else was out there. If there was anything better. So much to choose from. Mahalo for the input.
kevingoorijan
Posted: Sat 24 Apr 2010 03:56 am GMT   topTop
I'm looking for the right shoe for my first Ultra. I will be running in the H.U.R.T. 100 in Hawaii, and wanted to get some peoples oppinion on running shoes. I'm 6'5 235 and wear [URL=http://www.zbsports.com]smart wool[/URL] size 15. So that usually narrows my search for the right size. What is a good shoe that has protection from rocks? Any suggestions would be great. I was looking at the NB 909, NB 875, or the ASICS Gel-Trail Attack.

Mahalo-
How was the run? What shoe did you use? I was gonna recommend the mizuno runningg shoes to you, until I noticed the date.

[edited: Wed 28 Apr 2010 10:14 am]