home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Which Hydration Pack to Choose Nathan Vapor vs Ultimate Direction SJ/PB

Which Hydration Pack to Choose Nathan Vapor vs Ultimate Direction SJ/PB

seowfung75
California, United States
Posted: Fri 12 Sep 2014 03:32 pm GMT   topTop
Hi, all! I am 5'8" tall, weigh160pounds male in gender. I just registered to do my first 100km ultra marathon in approximately 170days. I am trying to get some guidance on which hydration vest/pack will be good a choice for me to purchase. Help me out here. Thanks.

lucas

[edited: Tue 16 Sep 2014 03:13 am]
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Mon 15 Sep 2014 07:00 pm GMT   topTop
I have personally used the Nathan HPL 20, the Nathan Zelos, and the UD SJ. And the Orange Mud system. And waist-pack bottle systems. Yes, I have quite the collection.

I settled on the Ultimate Direction SJ vest. I really like the front bottle system of the Ultimate Direction SJ, yet it still has the flexibility of being able to have a hydration bladder in the back as well. The Nathan Zelos didn't carry "extra" stuff very well, whereas the SJ has a lot more cargo space. Too many manufacturers think that a racing pack has to be so streamlined that it has few pockets and no space which is ridiculous. That said, note that the PB vest is geared more toward adventure runs/races so it appeared to me to be a little -too- much space-wise; the front bottle straps look like they hang lower which may get in the way of running; I can't say personally though.

The pack itself and the front bottles carry amazingly well. Little to no bouncing. The vest fits like a glove. Yet it can still carry a lot; much more than any other hydration system I've tried that is meant for running and racing. It is super light, yet strong and breathes well. Truly a remarkable pack.

I hate the UD bottles though: their proprietary new nipple system makes it hard to get any liquid out. (Did they actually try to use or test the bottles?) But that's just me. Others find it just fine. And it's not a deal breaker; you can still use them it just might be annoying. Plus you can use other bottles: I bought two Hydrapak 500ml SoftFlasks and they fit in those front bottle pockets (a bit tight but it works ok). The Hydrapak SoftFlask is tough and easy to squeeze to control water intake: guzzle or sip.

I also bought a Hydrapak 70oz hydration bladders at REI because Ultimate Direction was out of stock.

One thing I wish the SJ vest had is some padding or insulation in the back. Yes you can get a hydration bladder in there but your body heat will quickly heat up the water. (That could be an advantage if you put ice in the bladder on a hot day though!) Also, if you put anything bulky and hard in the back you'll feel it.

So - my solution was to cut an old closed-cell foam backpacking pad (3/8" or 1/2" thick) to fit; and cut out a pattern of holes for breathability. I can insert and remove it easily. But you don't have to go to such great lengths; just an idea.

Front bottles are nice because they're quick. If you can make it to the next aid station on two bottles, it's easier to fill than removing the pack and/or hydration bladder. But, you can use both, too, for long training runs for exaple. Between the bottles and a hydration pack you can carry some serious water (110oz), which I've done before AND still have room to carry extras like a bunch of gels, first aid supplies, headlamp, hat; jacket strapped to the back.

The side pockets are a nice bonus. They are hard to get to while wearing but it can be done with some twisting and flexibility.

I do wish the SJ vest had even just a slightly bigger storage pocket or two up front. For gels, and for a phone. I slip my iPhone in the side pockets and just deal with the struggle/operation of getting it out since it's just occasionally needed.

So -- no pack is perfect but the SJ is by far my favorite and is my go-to running pack for practically any distance where I need to carry water and other stuff -- short training runs to 100 milers.
seowfung75
Posted: Tue 16 Sep 2014 03:12 am GMT   topTop
Thank you for your time and effort taken to provide a good insight on which vest to go for. Really appreciate time taken.

One last question, do you know of any good training plan or sites for 100k ultra training routine? Million thanks.

lucas
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:42 pm GMT   topTop
Hmm. I'm sure a little Googling could turn up some resources; I just don't have any specific sites to give you offhand. The book Relentless Forward Progress has some training plans which I've used, and it has lots of good advice.
seowfung75
Posted: Thu 18 Sep 2014 12:20 am GMT   topTop
Thanks. I have just purchased the ultimate direction sj vest together with the hydrapak 500ml softflask.

Again many thanks for your time.
redcanrun
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wed 15 Oct 2014 02:42 am GMT   topTop
Just bought and test ran an Ultimate Direction Anton K ... Fits great ... I'm a bit taller and a bit wider and run the Med/Large - I imagine you'd look at the Small/Med (in the UD SJ too if it offers the same sizing option).

Note that the AK race vest is suuuper minimalist, there's not a lot of room in there for anything beyond a bladder, fuel for 4-6 hours (~50k) and some very minimal clothing (thin shell + your Borat suit). I imagine you could get creative by storing things in the bottle pockets / neatly rolling and strapping (exterior shock cord) / stuffing like a mofo.

I like the minimalist approach because it forces me to pack really conscientiously, prep well for drops & aid stations, and run fast to make the beer tent in time.

Giver dude! Good luck on your 100k