home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Races » Toubkal Trail - The hardest in the world

Toubkal Trail - The hardest in the world

rossmarc
Italy
Posted: Sat 06 Dec 2008 05:12 pm GMT   topTop
The hardest ultratrail race in the world will start on October 08th, 2009 in Maroc: the Toubkal Trail, 125km with 9000m D+, highest point at Mt. Toubkal (4163m) and 6 points over 3000m. The Toubkal Trail will give direct qualification (4 points) to the UTMB 2010 and 2011. Zero km on asphalt for one of the best scenery trail in the world.
More information at www.toubkaltrail.com
Gawdless_and_Squadless
Gawdless_and_Squadless
Tokyo, Japan
Posted: Sun 07 Dec 2008 12:24 am GMT   topTop
Back in the days when I hiked and climbed rather than run, I did a two day hike to the top of Toubkal covering much the same course. I can confirm that this will be a superb and challenging run, with unforgetable scenary. "Most difficult in the world" is probably a bit of hyperbole, but VERY difficult from a running perspective and incredibly rewarding, I can confirm. The trails are not really "dangerous" or technical, but there are long stretches of running along valleys above chasms.

I did end up with some sort of stomach ailment from the food and water, and the endless cups of mint tea went from "charming" to "sickening" in the course of a few days. Locals also make money from guiding tourists (mostly French) and do not really take kindly or share information with individual travellers. They get very pushy if you are guideless. Not sure how they will feel about a foot race! When I was there years ago, hiking trail signs would be pulled down to preserve the guide business. Hopefully they will not do the same to course markers.

But a tremendous and exotic course. Should be a must do event.
rossmarc
Italy
Posted: Mon 26 Jan 2009 02:35 pm GMT   topTop
On www.toubkaltrail.com is on-line the English version of this great race.