home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Run and Race Reports » Decatur TX Trail Run in March

Decatur TX Trail Run in March

alandrum
Michigan, United States
Posted: Fri 24 Sep 2010 02:40 pm GMT   topTop
I am thinking of doing this race for my first ever marathon and trail run. Do you think it is too much to think i can do my first marathon as my first trail run also? The website says there is not a lot of hills but it worries me that the best time was 4hrs and 30 mins. I have done 4 half marathons on the road and my time is 1hr 50 mins. The reason i picked this race is I live in MI and wanted my first marathon to be a run out of state to make it more fun and motivation for me. My mom lives by this race and has rode her horses here and says it is pretty flat but i am still a little worried so would like your thoughts and any pointers. thanks
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Fri 24 Sep 2010 03:03 pm GMT   topTop
Only one way to find out. Go for it.

I'll let you in on a little secret: A trail marathon is easier than a road marathon. It takes longer but it uses a variety of muscles and doesn't pound you into a pulp.

Pointers? Get onto trails for training. Learn that you have to pick up your feet. Go out slow. Eat a little, just a bite or two, now and then from the beginning. If you can't see over it, walk it. Have fun. Write a report.

That's all I've got.