home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » Can I go 1.5 years off to 50k in 6 months???

Can I go 1.5 years off to 50k in 6 months???

JuanMoore
JuanMoore
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Thu 14 Apr 2016 04:26 pm GMT   topTop
Athletic, runner / weight lifter, clean diet, 10% bodyfat. Injury free. Took year and and a half off running to build a new gym, Rediscovered my love for running, but am starting over. I'm in a MAF 8 week base build now, and was thinking of trying to finish a 50k at the end of October. I've always preferred long slower trail runs. Think it's doable?? Not a super hilly course, 12 hour cut-off.
JuanMoore
JuanMoore
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Sat 23 Apr 2016 02:47 pm GMT   topTop
Not a very chatty group is it?
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:40 pm GMT   topTop
Yeah, sometimes replies are few and far between. I have some work to do to give the forum and site a jumpstart. Plenty of users, just that most don't hang out here all the time.

Anyway, your goal seems doable to me. Depending on how much running you did before you took time off, I think you'd be surprised at how well the body keeps a base of running fitness (meaning you're not really starting -totally- from scratch). Plus you've got great health, athletic body type and if you've been weight lifting during the last year and a half you've got a solid base of strength.

Plus, you've got 6 months until the race to build up distance over long slow runs AND the race is just beyond a marathon distance on a reasonable course, so it's not a really crazy to tackle.

Go for it. Build up slowly and have fun.