home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » First Ultra

First Ultra

EuroRunner
Ferrol, Spain
Posted: Thu 26 Feb 2009 07:15 pm GMT   topTop
I have gotten back into running after a couple of years off. I am using the (add 10%) rule and running tues/wed fri and long run on sundays. I have never run further than 26km but am planning on running the Swiss Alpine 78km Ultra at the end of July.

Can someone advise how far to keep going on the 10 per cent rule? Do I need to run over a marathon distance to make the 78km? is it better to alternate between a long run (say 42km) one week and then two back to back 21km the week after?

I would like to make sure I get the proper training in to maximise my chances. The goal is to finish in the 12hrs.

Also, I live at sea level and the race is at altitudes up to 2600m and min of 1000m. How do you train without being able to do it at this altitude? I plan on getting to the race one week before the run. Is this enough?

Cheers,

EuroRunner
JoJo
JoJo
United Kingdom
Posted: Mon 06 Apr 2009 12:21 am GMT   topTop
Hi EuroRunner!

I don't have any experience in ultras yet either, so no advice sorry. I just wanted to say good luck!! I'm hoping to run a couple of 50ks and one 75k this year, so I look forward to seeing what advice comes up for your question!

I am returning to Europe this year and like the look of Spain for trails too!
jimsty
jimsty
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posted: Wed 23 Sep 2009 11:43 pm GMT   topTop
I have never run further than 26km but am planning on running the Swiss Alpine 78km Ultra at the end of July.
I was going to reply - until I noticed the date! So how did you go in the race?

JAMES STYLER (p.f.t), (b.b)
Columnist for V02 MAX magazine
Interview with 2 x Ironman World Champion Chrissie Wellington here:
http://www.chrissiewellington.org/media/ironwoman-extraordinaire/

TEL: 027 5534266
WEB: www.stylerhealth.com

[edited: Wed 23 Sep 2009 11:44 pm]
EuroRunner
Ferrol, Spain
Posted: Sat 26 Sep 2009 03:50 pm GMT   topTop
Hi James,

I had forgotten about my post also. The run went really well. I finished in 11.5hrs and recovered well. I enjoyed it so much that I am running the Caesars Camp 100 mile endurance run in Aldershot UK on the 3rd Oct (next week!). I know this one will be much more challenging (not that running in the Swiss Alps was easy) but the increased distance will be tougher. I was pretty happy with the result given I started off 2009 108kg and having not run for over 2 years to losing almost 30kg and finishing my first Ultra. Should I finish the 100mile I would have achieved my overall goal of running a 100mile prior to my 30th birhtday.

Cheers,

Matt