home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » First Ultra

First Ultra

Ash13
New York, United States
Posted: Thu 26 Apr 2012 03:35 am GMT   topTop
I am new to this forum and new to ultra. I have been running for about 9 years now, logging about 25-40 miles depending on the season (granted there are a few weeks with less but not many). I have done a few half and full marathons but recently became intrigued with ultra. I signed up for an ultra in August (100 K) and my wife tells me I am crazy. Is there any advice, anyone would like to share. I am a very motivated person and have a no quite attitude. I am in the Army and have completed a couple 25 mile road marches. Any advice will help.
just1gear
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Mon 20 May 2013 08:32 pm GMT   topTop
I'm new to this forum as well and it doesn't look like it gets much activity. Since 340 something people have viewed your post and nobody has commented yet I guess I will. I would find a solid 50mile/100K training plan, you should be able to find one online pretty easily, and it will probably be about a 12-16 week plan. Depending on when in August your race is you may have to jump ahead a few weeks into it instead of starting at the beginning, but that shouldn't be a huge issue if you've been running consistently for the last 8-12 months. One of the main things I've had to learn and dial in is my nutrition and calorie intake while running/racing, a good rule of thumb is in the neighborhood of 300 calories/hour, but it can fluctuate depending on body type/size/needs, etc. Of course another key factor is being able to cover the distance and the best way to do that is to just log the training miles. My first ultra I was just focused on finishing so I took it relatively easy and tried to use it as a tester for future races. Oh, and don't go out too hot or fast and leave nothing for the last 10-15 miles! Good luck!