home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » IT band HELP!-training for 50K

IT band HELP!-training for 50K

trev23
Texas, United States
Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2011 07:05 pm GMT   topTop
I was originally training for my first 50-miler. In 6 weeks I ramped up to a 28 mile long run and was fine until the next weekend when I ran a hilly 10 mile and felt a wicked case of IT band syndrome. I have taken 3 weeks off and started A.R.T. therapy for my knee. I still want to run the 50K course, if I can run.

I have 2 questions:

Anyone have any magical cure for ITBS?

If my knee heals, magically, can I train to run the 50K with 7 weeks to train? (It has been 5 weeks since I ran the 28 miler, and I think I could ramp up to 15 and still taper.)
trev23
Texas, United States
Posted: Fri 18 Feb 2011 03:06 pm GMT   topTop
I am going to answer my own question.

I have been to 3 treatments of A.R.T.(active release technique) and bought a foam roller. The ART is done by a chiropractor/physical therapist. I use the roam roller every day to deeply massage the IT band. I took off a total of 31 days and my IT issues seem to be getting better. I have only run 2.5 miles so far. It is slow going but rest and rolling seems to be the answer!

As for the 50K, I think I will train slower and more holistically(slow, barefoot) and choose a race that has a later date.
jimsty
jimsty
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posted: Sun 31 Mar 2013 06:23 am GMT   topTop
Massage (bloody painful), physio and accupuncture didn't work and I'd had ITB problems for around 5yrs. Bowen Therapy worked for me, weird stuff but I was sorted after just two treatments. Might be worth looking into?
Now I just make sure I do plenty of foam roller work to keep it at bay.