home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » What does your training look like for an ultra?

What does your training look like for an ultra?

jimsty
jimsty
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posted: Sat 22 Aug 2009 03:39 am GMT   topTop
Okay, I am in my base training phase at the moment, training for an 85km race at altitude in New Zealand in November. For those of you are interested, here's here's what my current training weeks are starting to shape up like...

MON: REST
TUE: Morning run of 2hrs
WED: Morning run of 1hr / Evening run of 2hrs
THU: Morning run of 1hr / Evening run of 1hr30
FRI: Morning run of 45mins
SAT: Morning run of 1hr / Afternoon run of 1hr30
SUN: Long run in the hills, 4-6hrs

TOTALS: Average about 15hrs, distance is around the 120-150km mark

I don't think I'll go too much over 200km but that won't be until the Build phase and thankfully I'm a while off that yet haha!

What do you guys all do, and does it differ much depending on the distance of the ultra you're working towards? Thanks J.
jimsty
jimsty
Posted: Thu 03 Sep 2009 01:23 am GMT   topTop
One of my good friends and running buddies just came 5th woman in last weekends' 'Cascade Crest 100 mile' race, so hoping to pick her brains about her training. Will get a magazine interview with her as well, so watch my website for details, should be in the next few months.
For those of you that are interested, she came 38th overall in 26hrs on what is aparrently an extremely tough course. The course record was broken this year, being taken out (by a man whose name I can't remember) in just under 20hrs.
I can't belive nobody wants to share their training... or are you all competing against each other in the States ?!

JAMES STYLER (p.f.t), (b.b)
Columnist for V02 MAX magazine
Interview with 2 x Ironman World Champion Chrissie Wellington here:
http://www.chrissiewellington.org/media/ironwoman-extraordinaire/

TEL: 027 5534266
WEB: www.stylerhealth.com
MDultrarunner
MDultrarunner
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thu 03 Sep 2009 01:43 am GMT   topTop
I'll gladly share my training. It varies from season to season (if I'm getting ready for ultras or triathlons), but during peak ultra training, I usually put in no more than 15 hours of running a week (generally 85 miles or 130-140 km). I find the most benefit from low-volume training coupled with long runs on the weekend, usually 4-5 hours on Saturday followed by an easy 1 to 1.5 hour run on Sunday. Sometimes, however, I'll do back-to-back 2.5 hour runs on the weekend instead of one long run.

A typical week of ultra training in summer might look like this for me, though it can be highly dependent on the weather. (Summers in this area are rather hot and humid and aren't conducive to long training runs.)

MON: 1.5 hour morning run, 30-45 minutes in evening
TUES: 1 hour morning run, weight training in evening
WED: 1.5 hour morning run, 30 minutes in evening
THURS: 45 minute morning run, weight training in evening
FRI: 2.5 hour morning run
SAT: 2.5 hour run
SUN: easy 1 hour run
(MON: rest day, no training or easy weight training only)

This seems to work for me, as I've noticed diminishing returns by increasing my weekly mileage. I feel too run down and tired when I get close to or surpass 100 miles/week.
jimsty
jimsty
Posted: Fri 11 Sep 2009 06:57 pm GMT   topTop
Thanks for sharing, nice to know I'm on the right track then as our training looks a little similar! Couldn't agree more with the weight training, I think ultrarunners could really benefit themselves by hitting the weights once or twice a week - especially if they have ongoing injury concerns. Functional, specific weight training should be an integral part even if it gets dropped during our main block of racing; it's such a fantastic addition to the base & build periods.

I got confused with your Monday though - is the rest day that you've shown in brackets what you do every second week? Thanks again J.

JAMES STYLER (p.f.t), (b.b)
Columnist for V02 MAX magazine
Interview with 2 x Ironman World Champion Chrissie Wellington here:
http://www.chrissiewellington.org/media/ironwoman-extraordinaire/

TEL: 027 5534266
WEB: www.stylerhealth.com

[edited: Fri 11 Sep 2009 06:57 pm]
MDultrarunner
MDultrarunner
Maryland, United States
Posted: Fri 11 Sep 2009 11:49 pm GMT   topTop
Ah, I should have explained. The brackets were to indicate that, if I do take a rest day, it is usually the Monday following a long-run weekend. Most times, however, I continue with my training without a rest day. In fact, I keep a rather flexible schedule when it comes to days off. Whenever my legs feel sluggish or whenever I feel over-trained, I will take a day off from running regardless of where it occurs in the weekly training regimen (though I may cross-train with swimming, biking, or weights).

I'm glad to hear that you're also a proponent of weight training. I'm convinced that it has kept me running injury-free for all these years. In recent years, I've transitioned to exercises that focus on multiple muscle groups and body-weight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, etc.). I've also incorporated a lot of core-strengthening exercises into my weight training sessions. I can tell that having a strong core makes a world of difference after 12 or 20+ hours of running.
Philman
Ohio, United States
Posted: Mon 12 Oct 2009 09:47 pm GMT   topTop
Im just now getting into the whole ultra thing. Ive been running for years but have been almost strictly a pavement runner. The pounding on the roads have taken there toll on my knees over the years. I started running the trails around my home and found my knees do not bother me nearly as much. any advice to a novice on how to train smart for an ultra i.e. (protect the knees). I already incorporate yoga and light weight, multiple rep weight training. Thanks, you guys and gals are a real motivator for me!!
INJUN
South Dakota, United States
Posted: Fri 04 Jun 2010 01:37 am GMT   topTop
These runs do the paces vary? For example do you run some at easy, medium, hard effort ?
joebuck777
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Mon 16 Jan 2012 05:59 pm GMT   topTop
Thanks MDultrarunner. I'm just starting and have been looking all over the place for a starting point. I was glad to see your schedule and explanations. You've been a big help!
Irun100s
Colorado, United States
Posted: Fri 03 Feb 2012 03:48 am GMT   topTop
Hello,

Here is a good article for training for ultras. Not only does it discuss the training program, but also it covers what it takes to train and finish an ultra.
http://www.hawaiianshirtray.com/training-exercise/50-mile-training-program/