home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » New Guy Training Question

New Guy Training Question

slimshadow
South Carolina, United States
Posted: Wed 28 Jul 2021 08:36 pm GMT   topTop
Hello,

I have started from on the couch with walking to walking with some running. I have worked up to 8 miles which I do in approx 2.5 hours. I am doing 8 miles and then resting the following day followed by 8 miles , repeat.

My question .... is this an okay way to train ? Is it ok or should I be doing drastically different mode of training or can I keep it simple and continue this way ?

Thanks very much !
TDFbound
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2021 02:57 pm GMT   topTop
First, I'm not a running coach, or even a good runner. However, I am a good endurance cyclist and am very familiar with training schedules and what proper progression looks like. I have had a lot of issues with shin splints when running due to trying to do too much too fast. My best advice based off of personal experience is this- if you are not getting injured and are happy with your progress, you're doing great. When starting from scratch, your body will let you know if you've done too much- you should start each workout feeling ready for the effort, not tired and worn out, focus on good form. Try to keep a balance of "work hard" and "play hard," training should be fun even though you are pushing past your comfort zone.
slimshadow
South Carolina, United States
Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2021 04:15 pm GMT   topTop
TDFbound,

That was an awesome reply. Thx