home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » Training Advice for a 50k in 35 days!

Training Advice for a 50k in 35 days!

spaldings1
South Carolina, United States
Posted: Tue 14 Sep 2010 02:57 pm GMT   topTop
Okay, so i'm 22 and i've ran since I was 11 years old-- my first and only marathon was in Myrtle beach where I clocked a 2:59.28 time.. However, as of August 27, 2010, I hadn't run in over 4 months, but while going on a leisurely 5 mile run, I remembered how much I loved running and I also wanted a challenge. Okay-- so here is my crazy dilemna. I went home that night and signed up for the Stump Jump 50k trail race in Chattanooga, TN on October 2, 2010. That was 35 days from august 27. It is now September 14, and I'm at 15 mile runs at 8:00 mm for my long run... I believe I'm pretty injury resistant, I've never been injured in 11 years of running.. but my legs are starting to feel smoked.

So..... any advice on how to approach the next 2-3 weeks of training before the 50k? I don't know really how to make that jump from 15 to 30ish miles before the 50k. I'm completely new to trail ultra running, but I'm eager to learn! Thanks.
BPC
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wed 15 Sep 2010 01:23 pm GMT   topTop
Based on your running history, and the fact that you're able to knock out a 15 mile run avg 8 mm, you should be able to finish a 50k without too much trouble. Not sure if just finishing is what you are looking for though.

It is best to go into any race over-rested rather than over-trained. The fact that your legs are smoked indicates you're on the path towards being over-trained.

It's hard to give a ton of advice without knowing what you're doing each day already, but I wouldn't suggest increasing my long run at this point (because your legs are smoked). Rest and recovery is just as important as the actual training you are doing.

I would cut volume this week to let the legs recover, keep a moderate mileage next week, then cut the volume again the week of your 50K.
spaldings1
South Carolina, United States
Posted: Wed 15 Sep 2010 08:31 pm GMT   topTop
Thanks a lot for the advice! To give you a little better idea of my training... For the past two weeks my mileage has averaged 46 miles/week. I generally go on 5-8 mile runs, with a few 11 milers, and i've gone on two 15 milers. I'm not sure what's going on with my leg strength. For example, my 15 mile run was on Sunday, and I ran 8 miles Monday, but today my legs feel fine. The problem is generally DURING the run-- as inevitably my legs start to ache around the joints from around mile 11 to 15. Previously, I was planning on going on a 20 mile run later this week.. would that be recommended? After reading your post, I'm thinking I should cut back sooner than i originally planned.. Thanks again.
BPC
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Fri 17 Sep 2010 11:53 am GMT   topTop
I would look into decreasing your intensity on your long runs. Your body is only going to be able to recover, adapt, and regenerate up to a certain amount after each bout of exercise. The longer you have been back at training, the more you body will be able to handle, and the harder you can push yourself.

You problem is coming in the form of only being back at training for less than a month. Going from 0-15 miles is going to be tough on the body, no matter how injury resistant you feel you are. One of the main keys is going to be to listen to you body.

Based on your last comment, it appears as though you are able to recover fairly well. Did you run yesterday or the day before? How'd your legs feel after those runs?