home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Totally New and bit off the 100 Mile Challenge

Totally New and bit off the 100 Mile Challenge

Benbuck6
Mississippi, United States
Posted: Fri 29 Apr 2016 07:57 pm GMT   topTop
Im not new to running. We have been in an on again off again relationship for 20+ years. Ive wanted to do an Ultra for years now but its just hasn't been a reality considering my weight. Now, I have started the journey. Advice, besides turn back now... Below is a little more about my venture into this. Im blogging (which is also new to me) along the journey.
https://couch2onehundred.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/intoduction-are-always-needed/
https://couch2onehundred.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/first-blog-post/
Futboldan
Texas, United States
Posted: Mon 13 Nov 2017 01:23 am GMT   topTop
I am sort of in the same boat. I was a soccer player and swimmer up through college. Started running about five years ago and have been building up since. I easily qualify as a “Clydesdale” in most races.

Having finished a 50 muler and training for a 100 miler, the easy answer and the most misleading, is yes, you can do it.

Yes you can do it, but only if you give yourself enough training time (probably a year minimum if you have not done 50+ within the last 6 months and if you have not been training regularly. Also, planning, coarse selection, environment and training will obviously play a role.

The real question is do you want it to be a good experience or bad? I did not follow your links to the blog, so I apologize for not knowing this, but if you have never done anything over a marathon, then definitely build up. Do a 50k and assess where you stand. Then a 50milet, then 100k and then the ultimate goal of a 100Miler.

The thing I learned in my 50 was that I was waaaaaay under prepared in terms of fuel, drop bags, extra socks, etc. I also learned that as somebody well over 225lbs, my lungs pumping oxygen that long and that hard, really took a toll. I am 6 feet and should be right at 200 for the 100 miler. Still large, but not so much that it stresses my body dangerously.

Just my two cents.