home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » What kind of training do you in non-trail environment?

What kind of training do you in non-trail environment?

ainoye
ainoye
Saitama, Japan
Posted: Wed 25 Nov 2009 05:33 am GMT   topTop
I cannot have chance to run in real trail so much. Please advise me how you are doing training in non-trail environment?
ainoye
ainoye
Saitama, Japan
Posted: Sun 29 Nov 2009 12:37 pm GMT   topTop
Today, I bought 10kg sand and packed in my old backpack. It's my original weight bag. I'll bring this when I'll go out a training run. I hope that this would work for strengthening my legs and body.
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Tue 01 Dec 2009 10:10 pm GMT   topTop
I think it depends on what race you are training for -- ideally you should match your training to the route/terrain where the race takes place, as much as possible.

If you just mean in general terms ... you should try to train on 1- steeper hills (climbing), and 2- try to find some uneven terrain (irregular footing). At least, most trails seem to have those two aspects, much different from pavement where you jog with the same motion for the entire time over gradual, smooth inclines.

Also if you are doing a longer race with a lot of hills, consider some weight lifting for leg muscle development (quads, calves, hamstrings). Your weight bag idea might work well, too -- I recall a picture of an ultra-runner (Kami Semick?) running with her young/toddler daughter in a backpack :-)
ainoye
ainoye
Saitama, Japan
Posted: Wed 02 Dec 2009 06:23 am GMT   topTop
Hi, thank you very much for your reply! I'll try to find some place where there are steeper slope and irregular footing area. By the way, I didn't try my weight bag yet :-) It's getting heavier than I originally planned. But I'll use it from coming weekend and try to find the place such as you suggested.