home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » Training for mult-day events

Training for mult-day events

peihan17
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wed 26 May 2010 05:47 pm GMT   topTop
I hoping to run the West Virginia Trilogy this October- it's a 3 day event: 50K, 50M, 13.1M. What would your training look like, specifically your peak?

I've run many 50Ks and several 50Ms, but never anything back to back like this. I've run 50Ks on similar terrain in 6-7hr range, the cutoff here is 9hrs. For 50M, I usually run about 11hrs, but on a smoother course- the cutoff here is 14hrs. The max weekly mileage I can comfortably do is 50-60. I'm guessing that back to back long runs will be key, but I'm not sure how long I might need them to be.

Also, tips on what to do between races to minimize soreness/stiffness? Refueling/rehydrating?

Thanks in advance!
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 09:21 pm GMT   topTop
You are made of tougher stuff than me!!! I did my first 50 miler on Sunday and I couldn't run across the street today!!

Good Luck! I wish you well.
antil0ck
Washington, United States
Posted: Fri 16 Jul 2010 01:55 am GMT   topTop
peihan17, This sounds like a really fun ultra! I wish I could join in on the fun! As for the training for this type of event, focus on steady back to back long runs. I would make sure to do a couple 50k's back to back until you are feeling comfortable with back to back ultra's. Since you have until october you have plenty of time to train. I would start off with one 20 miler per week along with a 10 mile eassssssy recovery run the day after and then 10-15 miles the other 4 days. Take one day off. Just make sure not to take the day off after your long run! Eventually, you will work your way up to back to back 20 milers with the 3rd day doing a recovery run. Again, your ultimate goal is two 50k runs back to back.

Your fueling is critical in order to make this happen. You will need to make sure you are getting all of your caloric needs! If you do not track your calories, you will need to start doing this! As important as your long run(s) is your nutrition but you already new that right! :)

You need to figure out what your caloric needs are and make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids everyday! A solid diet will help with minimizing soreness and stiffness.

Listen to your body at all times! Your body will let you know if your pace is too slow or too fast. If you are pushing the distance too much too soon. At the same time, you need to push your limits a bit also. Ask around for more advice. keep the advice that works for YOU and discard the rest.

Good luck!

Antil0ck