home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Run and Race Reports » The Long Path

The Long Path

Long_Path_Runner
Long_Path_Runner
New York, United States
Posted: Tue 22 Aug 2017 02:21 pm GMT   topTop
Hello Backcountry Runners
I'd like to extend an invitation to come try out New York's 358-mile Long Path, which connects NYC with the mountains near Albany and passes through some of New York's most beautiful parks and preserves, including Harriman, the Gunks, and the Catskills.

I thru-ran the Long Path a few years ago, and it was a life-changing experience. Now I'm trying to encourage other runners to visit NY and take on this adventure.

If you've thought about the AT, this is a much more practical alternative, which you could do in 1-2-3 weeks rather than 2-3-4 months. We have a Long Path Race Series (www.longpathraces.com) with trail races ranging from 5k to 70 miles if you'd like to check out the trail.

If you're looking for tips on multi-day thru-running, either with the goal of setting an FKT, or just for fun, I wrote up my experience in a book called "Running the Long Path" which is on Amazon, and I'd be glad to answer questions in this forum on training, navigation, gear, nutrition, hydration, logistics, etc., as well as share what I know about the Long Path if you're planning a trip.

Happy trails!