home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » 45 - how do i get beyond that 14 mile barrier?

45 - how do i get beyond that 14 mile barrier?

DJSPDX
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 03:35 am GMT   topTop
I've been running trails for a little over a year now and LOVE IT! I seem to have a wall at about 12-14 miles where I shut down. 2500' - 3500' gain/drop. Any advice for a guy in his 40s to increase distance and hopefully do a 50K or more someday? I live in Portland, Oregon so I am close to lots of wilderness.
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Thu 24 Oct 2013 09:28 pm GMT   topTop
Looks like you're on trails with pretty significant elevation change, so it's going to be taxing. Are you running the entire way or is it a struggle to run/walk the whole distance?

Actually, regardless of your answer, to go farther you have to slow your overall pace correspondingly. Everyone has to do that, it's just that not everyone is on the same level. The pros can go 2-3X as fast as the average person but they still have to slow their relative pace for longer distances in order to keep it sustainable. Same with you. Slow your pace in order to stretch out the distance. And of course make sure you are hydrating and eating properly as you go. If you go too fast, your body can't absorb nutrients very well and you eventually end up crashing - which could be the case with you if you are running the whole time. That particular balance is different for everyone and is made more efficient (better) with added training, and tends to get better from year to year too. The difference between 14 miles and 100 miles is mostly pace, and long-term training.
DJSPDX
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thu 24 Oct 2013 10:08 pm GMT   topTop
Thank you for the reply! I do run the whole way and usually push myself pretty hard. I will try to slow it down some and not be so competitive with myself - enjoy the experience more. I really appreciate your response a lot.
Kate
Kate
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sat 01 Nov 2014 02:38 am GMT   topTop
DJ - BCR nails it: Think L.S.R. (long, slow, run), while equipping with your preferred hydration system (belt, camelbak) and an easily digestible source of calories like GU packs of Clif shots...moreover, I experienced a tremendous amount of success vaulting past the usual plateaus by incorporating back-to-back weekly long runs into my regular 4 week training cycles....but don't forget an occasional week of rest! Let us know what's working and how it's going!/Kate
joe503
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tue 05 Apr 2016 10:20 pm GMT   topTop
Short intense workouts make your body much stronger for long distance runs. Try track repeats (i.e. mile repeats, Yasso 800s) and fartleks. You can google these for specifics.
Aaryno
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 01:34 am GMT   topTop
Just slow down and enjoy it. Stop and admire the scenery. Take pictures. Go with a friend. Join a running group and go with them. Keep your pace conversational, where you can have full conversations without it being a major effort. Go 16 or 18 miles one week and a couple weeks later go 18 or 20.