home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Achilles issue

Achilles issue

snichols
California, United States
Posted: Wed 27 Dec 2017 07:47 pm GMT   topTop
Hi all,

Newbie here, training for my second 50-miler (the San Diego 50, Jan. 13).

Survived all the long runs pretty well, no real injuries...and then yesterday developed some pain in my left achilles, and a small bump at the site. Did 8 miles on it today, and could definitely feel it.

I know better than to seek actual medical advice on an internet forum (no offense... :) -- but any insight on achilles issues? (It's a first for me, in 26 years of marathon+ running.) All I have left is two weeks of tapering, then the race. My intention is to ignore it and keep going... but damned sure don't want an achilles tear.

Any thoughts? Many thinks in advance.

Steve
Sheral
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tue 17 Apr 2018 12:34 am GMT   topTop
Sorry, just noticed some of these posts are a bit dated but what the heck. It all adds to the information base for us. I have suffered from achilles tendinosis only once. I blame it on not stretching enough. It was back when I was commuting about 50 minutes to work at 4:30 AM. I would be dressed and run when I got to work, as the gym next door wasn’t yet open. I would do a quick stretch and run. During a cold snap of weather my right achilles started to bug me and it developed into a pretty painful situation. I/we were lucky as I/we all had access to some pretty amazing sports physios and I could see her/them once or twice a day, everyday while working. I got rid of it within about 3 weeks. My take away from that was lots of stretching the calves, both gastroc and soleus stretches. Also incorporate eccentric calf drops everyday before your runs. I swear by them now. Also use a rubber flossing band a few times a week to keep everything moving in your ankles... I would be extremely paranoid about trying to run through an achilles situation as I have seen too many tears and the long rehab process. Fix it now... ;-)

[edited: Tue 17 Apr 2018 12:36 am]