home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Best Town for Trail/Mountain Running? + Intro

Best Town for Trail/Mountain Running? + Intro

galaxypotter
Rhode Island, United States
Posted: Thu 01 Oct 2020 06:33 am GMT   topTop
Hi friends -

I'm a lifelong runner but relatively new trail runner and a nurse.

I have the potential for a new job in the following places - I like the idea of them all, but was wondering what y'all think re: which one is best for trail and mountain running?

- Lebanon, NH
- Bozeman, MT
- Salt Lake, UT
- Flagstaff, AZ

I've previously passed through each of those places, other than Flagstaff.

Thanks for having me on the forum!
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Mon 05 Oct 2020 05:24 pm GMT   topTop
Being from Utah, I can vouch for the Salt Lake City area. A thriving trail running community (check out Wasatch Mountain Wranglers on Facebook) and a plethora of amazing trails in the Wasatch range. If you can swing the cost, Park City is a great location, just 20 minutes east of SLC; hundreds of miles of resort trails (but also filled with mountain bikers).

I've also eyed the other locations you have on your list, too. Would be interesting to hear what others say.

[edited: Mon 05 Oct 2020 05:26 pm]
galaxypotter
Rhode Island, United States
Posted: Mon 05 Oct 2020 08:28 pm GMT   topTop
Great! I've been offered the SLC job, so just taking a few days to think on it. I'd appreciate any housing resources re: Park City, as I'd definitely like to be right at the base of some trails if it's feasible financially.
backcountryrunner
Utah, United States
Posted: Tue 06 Oct 2020 12:03 am GMT   topTop
Park City is super expensive, like most resort towns. There are less expensive condos there, but I don't know what your budget is so 'affordable' is VERY relative :-) You'd have to look at zillow or real estate sites to see if anything fits. Anything from Summit Park to Snyderville to Park City proper has quick access to trails.

For the Salt Lake valley, you'll find good trail access to the Wasatch anywhere from North Salt Lake to Provo in Utah Valley -- just depends on how far you want to commute to work (check out mapping apps to see). In the Salt Lake valley itself, the main thing is to stay east of I-15. The further east the better :-) Just avoid West Valley City, West Jordan, Herriman, etc. It'll take too long to drive to the trails. For any of those options, you'll find trails that begin at the valley level but you'll end up driving up the canyons a lot anyway to get to many/most of the trails. One advantage to the valleys over Park City area is that you can run the foothills earlier; Park City is muddy for about a month longer in the Spring and of course gets snow earlier. Disadvantage of the valley is lots more people, cars, not so good air quality in winter.

If you end up looking at a specific spot/neighborhood or whatever, let me know and I might have more specific info on trail access.

[edited: Tue 06 Oct 2020 12:06 am]
brushscrubber
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Fri 28 Oct 2022 11:33 pm GMT   topTop
The western towns sound really nice for running. Can't beat those mountains.