home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Overnight Trail Run

Overnight Trail Run

runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 02:35 pm GMT   topTop
Anyone ever do something like that? Cover, say, 30 miles per day. Over 3 nights or something of the sort. Ultra light camping gear. Run near water? Just curious.
StumpWater
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 02:43 pm GMT   topTop
I have been gradually building up my kit to do this type thing (water puriffication, alcohol stove, bivy, etc). Pondering some sections of the AT along the NC/TN border.

You cooking up an in-Georgia plan?
runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 03:21 pm GMT   topTop
I think it would be awesome out west where there's tons of public land but alas, being from Georgia, probably most feasible on something like the AT. I need to do a little work to cover that kind of mileage in the appalachians. But I do like where this is going.
StumpWater
Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 03:25 pm GMT   topTop
I need to put together a "kit list" (have and "wish list"). Will do that and post here for comment/FYI.
runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 04:02 pm GMT   topTop
Please do. I might be interested in putting something together when it warms up.
runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wed 13 Mar 2013 11:56 am GMT   topTop
Just wanted to up this. StumpWater would love to see that list if you got a chance to put it together.

Also, was wondering if anyone could suggest a good trail. What I'm thinking is:

1) possibility to do about 60 - 90 miles.
2) elevation not *too* high (to get an idea I'm used to running at about 2k feet. i don't know if there are parameters for running in different elevations)
3) Nothing too difficult with elevation changes
4) Environment that's not too extreme (ie desert).
5) access to water - running along a river (generally) would be the best but might not be feasible.

Secondary considerations would be:
1) access to airport
2) good trail surface

Also, how would one train for a multi day run as such? Are there "plans" out there that you can adapt to any distance? Would you train like you're running all the miles at once (assuming not) or train for one day's worth of miles or something in between? What safety considerations must be taken?

etc.. etc...
jimsty
jimsty
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posted: Sat 23 Mar 2013 08:32 am GMT   topTop
Wow, with a 9-5 job and two kids this kind of thing sounds like a dream lol. One day though!
runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sat 23 Mar 2013 12:08 pm GMT   topTop
Training will be time consuming but not much more than training for a marathon. The actually trip (I think) will only require 1.5 days off.

East coast folks that may be interested, let me know. Trail is in NC.
StumpWater
Posted: Sat 23 Mar 2013 12:10 pm GMT   topTop
I owe a gear list (and maybe my training plan, just for fun) ... will provide soon. Been swamped!

[edited: Sat 23 Mar 2013 12:11 pm]
runlikehell
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sat 23 Mar 2013 12:23 pm GMT   topTop
StumpWater, no worries. I'm looking at September. The training I have not figured out but will start researching very soon.
jimsty
jimsty
Posted: Thu 28 Mar 2013 09:39 am GMT   topTop
I'm keen to have a go at something like this, you have sparked my curiosity. I just don't really have any ultra friends that are local that could run it all with me. Guess I could still do it alone though.
jimsty
jimsty
Posted: Thu 28 Mar 2013 09:40 am GMT   topTop
Secondary considerations would be:
1) access to airport
??!!