home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Perfect job for Trail Runners

Perfect job for Trail Runners

painj2
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 02 Jul 2013 05:44 pm GMT   topTop
What job do you have? Does it work as a trail runner? Why or why not? What job do you wish you had if you had a choice? Why?
API
Tervakoski, Finland
Posted: Wed 10 Jul 2013 11:15 am GMT   topTop
I would think that some sort of trail guide would be ideal. What else do they do, except run the trails? :)

On the other hand, my current position as software engineer have quite free time schedule to do the work, so it leaves quite some possibilities to run too. I would probably not change even better jobs may exists for running. Partly because of family too..
NRRunning
West Virginia, United States
Posted: Thu 11 Jul 2013 03:38 pm GMT   topTop
I am a trail running guide in the New River Gorge National River. I take groups, teams, clubs, individuals out on trail runs anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. I wanted to create my dream job and that's where I landed.

Check us out if you're interested. newriverrunningco.com
torrey
torrey
California, United States
Posted: Sat 13 Jul 2013 03:13 am GMT   topTop
Im a barista at the Ahwahnee coffe bar in Yosemite valley. As an employee, i get to live in the valley too, in an apartment right next to the Ahwahnee hotel. my hours are 6am to 1130am. This leaves me most of everyday to run for hours in the mountains. On my days off, i do 20-40 miles in the backcountry. I run to Merced lake n back. a couple weeks ago I ran from Tuolumne to Mammoth in a day, over Donohue pass and down the JMT. Its the perfect fit for me. I want all the free time i can get, and this job gives me that as well as a home right in the mountains with thousands of miles of trails and mountain to run in. ...as to the comment of being a running guide, ide dislike it, the main reason i live where i do, and why i trailrun, is to get away from people/civilization. Going out with a group would defeat my entire reason for trailrunning.

[edited: Sat 13 Jul 2013 03:14 am]
RobbA
California, United States
Posted: Mon 07 Oct 2013 08:24 pm GMT   topTop
Wow, torrey your living/working arrangement sounds pretty awesome!

I'm pretty much 9 to 5 at an ad agency but I get out early in the mornings. Pre-sunrise with a headlamp is really fun!
RunAmyRun
Utah, United States
Posted: Wed 06 Nov 2013 11:41 pm GMT   topTop
I am a stay at home mom, which can make it difficult to get out and run. However, this year my youngest is at school, so now I have a little free time.

torrey, your setup sounds amazing! I live in Park City, so it is great to have access to so many trails.

NRRunning, you have kind of my dream job. At times I like the solo aspect of trail running, and other times I like to be more social. I would like to be a personal running coach and plan on going back to school next year, to do it.