home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » peroneal tendonitis

peroneal tendonitis

dman2143
New York, United States
Posted: Thu 11 Aug 2011 03:20 pm GMT   topTop
hey guys. this is my 1st post, so let me give u the short version. i originally stress fractured my 3rd metatarsal back in may, and was placed in a walking boot. the stress fracture has healed, but i was an idiot one day, and thinking i was all better, did some fooling around without the boot, causing me to get alot of pain in my left foot/ankle. the MRI confirmed that i have some peroneal tenosynovitis. the orthopedic surgeon said i should start rehabbing the whole foot with a physical therapist and ice it at least twice a day. ive been going to phyiscal therapy 2-3 times a week and icing it whenever i can, but im still feeling pain almost a month later when i walk. when is this thing supposed to get better? anybody have any familiarity with this problem, and what did you do to fix it? i have put a heel lift in some good structured sneakers that i use, and am now wearing an ace ankle bandage for some compression. i just feel that with all my sprains and ankle injuries in the past, i cant get a coritsone shot because the foot is too weak, especially because of the stress fracture a couple of months ago. any advice would be helpful. thanks again!

dave
Arrow
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 08:02 pm GMT   topTop
Greetings to all who have posted regarding peroneal tenonosis. I am still battling it in both ankles after nearly a year, and was drawn to the earliest post here referring to peroneal nerve entrapment. Because I have not responded well to standard treatments, I am looking for a different diagnosis. The original post talked about a quick response to chiropractic work - anyone have more info on that? My case is very frustrating, and although it presents symptoms like tendonitis around the outside of the ankle, I am really wondering about nerve issues...
JXander
Alaska, United States
Posted: Fri 18 Jul 2014 09:48 pm GMT   topTop
I also have peroneal issues that stem from a brutal 30mile race in 6" of fresh snow. I rolled my ankle hundreds of times! Since then my peroneal has been inflamed and nerve entrapped.

I saw great improvement recently but during a 100 mile attempt 3 weeks ago my peroneal literally cramped up or froze around mile 60 (basically it stopped working and caused my foot to not function at all - my foot wouldn't flex and swelled up on top) I had to drop.

I have been seeing a chiro who is an Active Release Therapist (ART) and he works it and it is getting better again. I roll my calf and peroneal out on a tennis ball everyday (2x a day) gently and also flex my foot at the same time. It is getting better everyday.
Good Luck!