home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Plantar Fasciitis question

Plantar Fasciitis question

DarkBeer
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 01 Dec 2009 06:31 am GMT   topTop
I'm interested in running a trail race in the 50k + range. For several years I've done long trail runs casually, and thought I might try a sanctioned run.

Plantar Fasciitis pain often hits me when I do frequent long runs, however. Very annoying!!

Any tips for managing this long term? I figure I better get a handle on it.

It effects my left foot. Massaging it and stretching it out helps (per some tips I found on a general site on the condition).

Long term is there any strategy I should consider to mitigate it so it doesn't flare up too much?

cheers
RunningBrad
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Fri 11 Dec 2009 06:54 am GMT   topTop
I've been battling the same thing. In fact, it hits my left foot as well! I'm using Green SuperFeet now that the podiatrist recommended and stretch my calf a bunch. It still bothers me, but not as bad.

I've found that the more I hydrate, the better the foot feels. I'm about 3/4 of what I should be drinking and it feels the best it has in months.

Hope this helps a little.
DarkBeer
Posted: Mon 15 Mar 2010 07:49 pm GMT   topTop
Hey thanks for the reply Brad,

I have been stretching the calf and it definitely helps.

I decided to try some over the counter arch supports, and those do help me as well. Still hurts towards the end of long runs, but so far it's bearable

cheers
bchboy1206
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 12:41 am GMT   topTop
Hey DarkBeer, I prefer budlight, only kidding, couldn't resist....

Hey I have PF and I was wondering what type of shoes are you using??

Thanks in advance
Jim
DarkBeer
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2010 02:24 am GMT   topTop
Hi Jim - sorry for this late response.

I am currently running in Brooks Glycerin shoes (as far as I know this is a fairly neutral shoe). My PF flared up while I was running in more stability oriented shoes, but this may have more to do with my running stride/technique than shoes.

At any rate, the Brooks I'm running in feel pretty good to me overall. I am interested in the whole barefoot phenemona however, and even tried a few 30 minute runs on a grassy field in past weeks. I am curious about the possibility of alleviating the pain by improving my running form, but i'm certainly still in the experimental stage.

At least the PF isn't getting "worse" and I can complete my long runs without intense pain. By the end the PF does hurt, but it gets better during my recovery days and I seem to recover ok.

cheers
Dwg
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Fri 18 Feb 2011 11:55 pm GMT   topTop
There is plenty of info online on plantar fascia tis. I had it so bad that I could not get out of bed without major discomfort. I got orthotics. Then a cortisone shot. But the allopathic medicine did not work. We lived in a city with a graduate program in acupuncture. I was a skeptic. But it was cheap. So, with the doctor's blessing I tried it out. Acupuncture worked immediately. I have not had any problems for years. Although I do not know how to select a god acupuncturist, I would encourage you to consider the option. It was painless and quick No problems for 15+ years of continued long runs and races.
StumpWater
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Mon 01 Aug 2011 05:49 pm GMT   topTop
I first got PF about 18 years ago after a too-rapid-than-wise increase in training volume and intensity. I have attempted to come back to running several times since then. Never successful. Don't want to jinx it, but this come back feels like it's going to work:

I am now (1) wearing the blue Super Feet shoe inserts, (2) wearing a Strassburg Sock on the PF-affected side several times per day for 20-45 minutes per wear, (3) stretching my calf/achilles as often as possible on both legs, (4) making sure that I allow adequate recovery between runs, (5) rolling my arches with some downward pressure on a wooden cylinder ... whenever I remember to, and (6) doing some exercises to strengthen arches on both feet ... whenever I remember to. I could stand to be doing more of (5) and (6).

It seems to be working very well so far, although my run and weekly milage (well, "minutage", since I only run by time) are both still lower I'm aiming for. I guess I should add that (7) I am carefully limiting the increase in my total running per week as well as the distance of my long run. Increasing either in the past has led to PF flare ups. I'd say (7) is vitally important for for me (45 years old and have really learned the value of recovery).

I attribute my better-than-in-the-past PF management success to doing several things concurrently to manage the PF: patience, stretching, and support.

Good luck.