home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » rookie needing advice

rookie needing advice

norman19kilo
norman19kilo
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 05:33 am GMT   topTop
Im not new to running, but new to ultrarunning. Im currently logging 50miles plus a week with ease. Ive ran marathons, and covered training distances of 15-20 miles for long runs before. I want to run a 50k next year, and then a 50 miler. The 50k is in Febuary, and I feel confident on that one, but the 50 miler is the scary one. Its in April of next year also. What advice can anyone give on what way I should take my training from here. Below is a sample of my schedule week now, and I forgot to mention Im training for a marathon in November too.

day1- 9 miles
day2-8 miles
day3- 7 miles hills
day4- off
day5-9
day6-8
day7-12
day8-off

Remember this is just an example of one of my weeks this month. Ive been back into long distance running for only 2 months after taking about 6 months off. hopefully i can get some expert advice here...Ive been trying for some time. thanks
wildcat83
Texas, United States
Posted: Thu 01 Apr 2010 04:25 pm GMT   topTop
The secret, I think, is to work your way up to 24-28 mile long, slow runs (with a run/walk method built in) every week or other week, followed the next day by a run of at least 10 miles and maybe up to half the distance you ran the day before. These are hard, but teach your body to run fatigued. Don't think speed on these runs, think time on your feet.

And don't over-think the 50-miler, it is imminently doable with the mileage you are doing now. I know exactly how you feel about it, I did my first one in February, but just continue your training and don't worry about it. And just my two cents--I would pick out an earlier 50K--10 months is a long time to train for something given your current level of conditioning. Maybe find a 50K this summer and a 50 miler this fall...just my take.

Best of luck!

[edited: Thu 01 Apr 2010 04:26 pm]
norman19kilo
norman19kilo
Posted: Thu 01 Apr 2010 06:25 pm GMT   topTop
thanks for the advice...the reason for the 50k being in febuary is that im in the army and i currently deployed til the fall. I have a marathon in november also, but im not worried about that at all. I know i can cover that distance, i have already once before. Im just looking for a better time than my first one. Im training now for tired legs with a little challenge i made up for myself...im running 10 miles a day for 7 days. i just completed my third day with no problems. I do appreciate the advice very much...send as much as you can my way...thanks norm
norman19kilo
norman19kilo
Posted: Thu 01 Apr 2010 07:37 pm GMT   topTop
wildcat83.....
There is a trail 50k in october of this year. i regret i have to do most of my training on a treadmill. I still get my hill workouts in, and im very experianced on trails. do you think i will be ok for this 50k? Ofcourse i plan to add mileage until i leave iraq, and i will still have a couple of months to hit some trails when i get back to get my ballance up to par. do you think i will be ok to try this 50k?
Kate
Kate
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wed 05 Nov 2014 05:04 am GMT   topTop
So, how's it going, Norman?