home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Speedy recovery of pulled calf muscle secretes?

Speedy recovery of pulled calf muscle secretes?

GlennGTR
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 01 Jul 2014 01:55 am GMT   topTop
Durn if I didnt pull that tight son of a gun on my left leg. Now it feels like a bit of a charlie horse and I am 5 weeks out from my big race of the summer. Any speedy recovery tricks to recomend on getting over this injury pronto?
JXander
Alaska, United States
Posted: Fri 18 Jul 2014 09:43 pm GMT   topTop
I have a recurring - 3x now - calf strain. I strained it last year 6 weeks before a 100 and spent all 6 weeks recovering and was able to run the race successfully.

This year I pulled it again 7 weeks before a 100 and I re-strained it in the race and was unable to finish.

You'll know it is bad if it tingles - causes arch pain - causes pain behind the knee - and vesticulates (feels like worms are moving under your skin).

Best solution is to see an active release therapist (ART) and cut back on miles - I had to stop all together for a couple weeks. Seriously, find a good PT or massage therapist or chrio that can do active release. Good luck.
Mike_D
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Mon 08 Sep 2014 11:40 pm GMT   topTop
I had a bad calf strain this past April/May that caused me to take 3 weeks entirely off from running and included PT sessions. After easing back in, I ran a 50 mile trail run mid June with no problems. However, I restrained it in early August and immediately saw a PT again. This time, we elected to try Dry Needling. BEST THING EVER! I was able to continue running the next day and ran a 50K a week and a half later.
DougieD
Texas, United States
Posted: Tue 09 Feb 2021 02:37 pm GMT   topTop
Magnesium cream works wonders. I apply it several times a day. ART is also a winner.