home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » Trail nutrition for dog partners

Trail nutrition for dog partners

coachdave48
coachdave48
Missouri, United States
Posted: Mon 05 Jan 2009 02:16 am GMT   topTop
I've got a 15 month old Border Collie that I run with. He's now running in the 12 mile range with me on trail. I'm concerned that "Scooby Snacks" aren't enough for him. Does anyone run distance with their dog and have something special they give him for nutrition? I expect that they need carbs just like us???
CougarSnack
CougarSnack
California, United States
Posted: Tue 13 Jan 2009 04:44 pm GMT   topTop
I'm very interested in this topic myself. We have an 11-month old Border Collie that I've only taken on 6-mile runs so far, only because he probably covers twice that distance during the run, and I've been told to be careful about overdoing it while he's still a puppy.

Besides packing his own water supply & the treats we bring, should we bring 'real' food? And more importantly.. if I copy his diet, will I be able to run like him?
coachdave48
coachdave48
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wed 14 Jan 2009 03:50 am GMT   topTop
CougarSnack...That's pretty funny! Yea, my Border is like that too. He runs on a lead in town but when he's on trail I just let him run. He stays with me very well but I agree that he covers much more ground I do. I bet he gets 14 on our 12 mile runs.

I too kept him around 5-6 until he was a year old (per vets suggestion) and gradually added mileage. He doesn't really even seem winded now after 12-13 (even though he sleeps the entire way home!). I'll keep checking and you keep checking and we'll see what we can find out.
CougarSnack
CougarSnack
Posted: Wed 14 Jan 2009 04:10 am GMT   topTop
LOL, yeah, I know what you mean about the not being winded part. Rex comes home and naps just a little, then is out running the mental "bases" he's marked in our yard, over and over. :-D

Yes, if I find out anything useful, I'll definitely post.
victwa
victwa
Posted: Tue 20 Jan 2009 06:49 am GMT   topTop
I have an Aussie/Border Collie mix, and the vet told me that if I built her up to it, she would always be able to do far more miles than me on the trails. Border Collies and Aussies are bred to run loooooong. I think I remember reading somewhere that when they have tracked them while working, they can run upwards of 120 miles in a day. I myself am not running 120 miles a day, so I don't know if my dog could do that, but I know she needs water much more than food when we are running-- she seems fine for hours without eating (unlike me) but I worry a lot more about her water needs. I need to get her a water pack, because I've been planning long runs I take her on around her water needs-- I forgot she can carry it herself!
CougarSnack
CougarSnack
Posted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 04:53 pm GMT   topTop
120 miles.. that's amazing. I know they're running dogs, but it still boggles my mind.

Rex will be the first dog we've successfully taken on the trail. Our German Shepherd that died last April had hip problems and couldn't walk more than two miles, much less run, for the last few years of his life, poor guy. :(

So we will be purchasing a doggie water pack for the first time ourselves. It normally wouldn't be a problem, because there are several water crossings in a normal year, but it's been so dry lately, that we can't guarantee a water source for him.
coachdave48
coachdave48
Missouri, United States
Posted: Fri 23 Jan 2009 04:17 am GMT   topTop
I appreciate hearing that about the water and CougarSnack I appreciate you saying what you did because I will need to think about water more if we go somewhere else. We train at a state park that has plenty of water crossings and he usually drinks while he's crossing. I still wonder about any needed nutrition. I am going to start experimenting and see what works and what doesn't. I can tell you now, he will have NOTHING to do with a Caramel PowerGEL. I thought I'd just give him a lick and he didn't like it at all. He just likes his mini-Milk Bones, but I've heard that's more like "junk food" for them.

I watched him close, but he went a little over 15 with me last Saturday and still had the energy to chase after birds in the 14th mile. When we were finished, he saw my daughter and started running in circles like a mad-man (like he does on our property) when he has too much energy to blow. I don't know. I haven't found his limit yet...but I'm not wanting to push it. I'll keep him at that mileage every week or two and wait a while before we increase. I'll let you all know how the nutrition experimenting goes.

Take care.

[edited: Fri 23 Jan 2009 04:19 am]
Olive8
Olive8
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Sat 07 Mar 2009 10:38 pm GMT   topTop
I have a golden retriever and a doberman pinscher and they have both ran up to 24 miles with me. They build up their mileage as I build mine. I feed them all natural jerky from a natural pet food store during our run. I also make sure that I have a can of wet food waiting for them back at the truck for when we have completed a run. So far it seems to work ok.

They do have an electrolyte replacement drink for dogs (http://www.hydrolyte.us/) and both of mine love it. I don't use it while running that often because I have to mix it in a different container and they typically drink out of my camelbak or streams. I've given it to them after runs before. They both seem to bounce back easily from all of our long runs. They always run off leash so I know they are putting in a lot more miles than me.

[edited: Sat 07 Mar 2009 11:02 pm]
coachdave48
coachdave48
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sun 08 Mar 2009 04:53 am GMT   topTop
Thank you Olive8. I will check out that electrolyte drink...I'll also try the dog jerky. I just finished a 50K in February where my Border ran the last 21 with me...he did GREAT! He didn't want to eat anything for about 15 miles, but then I got him to eat 1/2 of a PB&J. He did drink at several of the water stops, but didn't eat any more than that. Having said that, he did eat up two big bowls of home-make chicken-noodle soup at the finish line!
blink140p6
blink140p6
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thu 12 Mar 2009 11:44 pm GMT   topTop
I have a 21 month old yellow Lab that trains and races with me up to the marathon distance.

Fortunately for me he eats just about anything on the planet. During training he eats everything from plain gu, pretzals, cheez-its, turkey and cheese roll ups to pb and j sammies. Of all of those, the cheez-its are his fave. When it comes to races, we opt for larger foods like the roll ups and pb and j sandwiches (quartered) just for the ease of the hand off. Every try feeding your dog cheez-its bounding down the trail at a 6:30 pace? Hahaha! It doesnt work that well.

I think that if a dog is able to take on those salty type foods it eliminates the need for an electrolyte replacement drink and it keeps things simple.

And for any running dog lovers that care to follow his training and racing you can catch him at: onedirtyrunnerdog.blogspot.com
coachdave48
coachdave48
Missouri, United States
Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 04:34 am GMT   topTop
Blink! I went to dirtyrunnerdog's blog and I totally remember you guys! We were at Psycho too! I was with the black/white Border toward the back. Yea! Everyone took off while we were still trying to get things together. I didn't have him with me for the first lap, but I did for lap 2 & 3. Coolness. Maybe I'll see you all at another mid-west race!

Take care.
Olive8
Olive8
Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 02:38 pm GMT   topTop
Awesome blog! I was laughing out loud at work. My golden's name is Hank and he will eat anything at all esp if it comes from a crinkly wrapper.

I've been having so much trouble finding information on running with dogs long distance. I've been flying by the seat of my pants through trial and error. I just upgraded my pack so that I can carry more food and water for me and the pups. My biggest concern is carrying enough water for them in the winter when the majority of the creeks are frozen and in the summer when they dry up or are stagnant. Have you ever experimented with dog packs? I'm kind of hesistant to use them because my dogs tear through the forest and I'm worried they'll get caught on something.

My other worry is bears and what to do with your dogs if you encounter them. You play dead with bears and mountain lions you make yourself bigger...I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong. We ran into a porcupine the other day but luckily neither dogs got quilled.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
blink140p6
blink140p6
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sun 15 Mar 2009 03:50 pm GMT   topTop
Well Olive, as for the water thing. I have a Go-Lite double water bottle belt carrier that I will use if I have to, but mostly my dog and I try to run a loop course of some kind so that we can just keep any supplies that we need in the truck and we just refuel there. Our loops tend to be in the five to seven mile range, so unless it's hot we dont really need much inbetween other than one hand held bottle that we share. And as for the bears, we dont have em here :) we do have the cats but I don't worry about them too much. I have several metal tags on the dogs collar that makes him jingle jangle a bunch as he runs down the trail, giving plenty of warning to anyone or anything that may be around. I suppose if it was a big concern you could get one of those dog bells from a hunting store. They make quite a racket!

Yeah Dave, I remember seeing you(of course I didn't know it was you at the time) as well. I was having a cup of chili as you headed out for your last loop. Very cool! I'm sure that we'll be "running" into each other again considering the location of the majority of races in these parts. The friend that I was with was very impressed with you guys and pointed you out to me. She thought she overheard you or someone say that you guys had done like a hundred miler the weekend before psycho? Gnarly man! You gonna be at Rockin K?

Nice hat by the way! Hahaha!

Take care.