home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » General Discussion » training question - long runs - 50 mile training

training question - long runs - 50 mile training

DarkBeer
Washington, United States
Posted: Mon 15 Mar 2010 07:57 pm GMT   topTop
Hey all,

I'm wondering if folks who have already run an ultra have thoughts on how I am progressing. I am on the cusp of pressing that registration button and signing up for a 50 mile run in the latter part of April.

I really love running, but i've never run in a sanctioned race.

My long runs the past 3 weeks have been:
22 miles
28 miles
31 miles

Question:
I notice that most training plans talk about doing back to back long runs on Saturday's and Sunday's. I am careful with my plantar fasciitis injury, and find the pain stays pretty mellow as long as I give myself a day rest between long runs. Therefore, I am not sure if the back to back long runs are right for me.

Assuming i'm comfortable with 30+ mile training runs, do you think I'm in striking distance of doing the 50 miler?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Mon 15 Mar 2010 08:06 pm GMT   topTop
Absolutely within striking distance. Doesn't sound as if you plan to "race" it...just finish it feeling you avoided a death march. (Which is exactly how you should approach it.) Back-to-back long runs are NOT for everyone and are certainly not a "requirement" of ultra training. First thing is to stay healthy.
You're likely to find the 50 miler a whole, different ballgame from a 50K. Practice your eating and drinking to find out what your stomach will handle.
Good luck to you.
trailrunnermom
Virginia, United States
Posted: Mon 15 Mar 2010 08:27 pm GMT   topTop
YES! You're ready. No need for back-to-back runs (although they may work for some people). I'd suggest: a 20-26 mile long run every other week; maybe one more 30-miler IF it fits in your schedule...last long run should be 3-4 weeks before race day. Otherwise, as ajj said above, figure out your nutrition and hydration needs (important for a 50-miler since you'll be out there longer), and use shorter training runs to work on things that may help with specific race conditions (climbing, rocky trails, downhills, etc.) Good luck!
wildcat83
Texas, United States
Posted: Thu 01 Apr 2010 04:29 pm GMT   topTop
I couldn't agree more with the other two replies--back-to-back runs are great, but staying healthy is more important. And don't race the first one--pick a strategy and stick with it (5 min run/1 min walk; jog flats and down hills/power hike any hill you can't see over; etc.). And above all--man, enjoy the entire thing!
DarkBeer
Washington, United States
Posted: Tue 06 Apr 2010 02:18 am GMT   topTop
Thanks to all of your for your thoughtful replies!

My training has been going fairly well, and I am really looking forward to the run. Whatever happens I'm sure learning a ton in the process, and my trail runs have been so fun that I have started dreading runs when I don't have time to get away from it all and must settle for urban/pavement running.

Cheers