home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Forefoot bruises easily, what shoe should I get?

Forefoot bruises easily, what shoe should I get?

Jameslaur
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sat 18 Dec 2010 09:10 pm GMT   topTop
Hey everybody. I have been endurance running for 3 years now. I am now trail running...but for some reason I bruise my right forefoot really easily when trail running. I have been searching for a realy good shoe that has a decent 'rock plate' so that I don't have to battle with these bruises so often. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? price isn't an issue. I have already tried the lasportive raptor and had to take them back. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

James
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Mon 20 Dec 2010 02:10 pm GMT   topTop
Montrail and Vasque are just two companies that make heavily armored trail shoes. The "old" Montrail Hardrock was the classic "truck like" shoe. I haven't tried the new Hardrock and am not even sure they still make it, but I heard it was a bit lighter. Scan the buyer reviews at an online site like Zappos. Remember that the shoe you are describing will be thicker, stiffer and heavier than some competitors. Sorry not to have an exact model for you. I use nothing but Inov-8 now and they're all pretty light. Still, I found that with the right fit, this problem went away for me, despite the fact that Inov-8 doesn't make a real "truck" shoe. Most of my trail running is on rocky stuff.

At the risk of telling you what you already know, fit is the most important thing. If the shoe is too lose, your foot will roll around in it on the rocks, which contributes to this problem (and adds blisters.) Also, if you're older than about 50, the fat pad in the foot will be thinning, so the foot becomes more susceptible to exactly this injury as we age. But, practice and miles toughen it up, too.

Hope this helps.
Kovas
Kovas
Illinois, United States
Posted: Mon 03 Jan 2011 09:50 pm GMT   topTop
A small company, Treksta USA, makes a really nice shoe, the Evolution, that is a bit heavy but really offers good protection.
Adam450
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tue 22 Feb 2011 08:01 pm GMT   topTop
what types of shoes are you running in now that cause the bruising?