home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Garmin vs Nike+ sports watch

Garmin vs Nike+ sports watch

photocodo
North Carolina, United States
Posted: Thu 12 Sep 2013 03:42 pm GMT   topTop
I have recently realized that I love trail running and am getting away from the road. I love having access to my training runs on the computer and so far have been running with my phone but it is just too bulky and I am looking for a watch with GPS that I can upload to my computer and view route, pace, time, elevation etc. I originally went to Garmin and have been looking between the forerunner 10, 110 and 210. However I recently discovered the Nike+ sportswatch and really like the look of it (have not tried it on yet). I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the nike watch and what they thought about it. It seems like it has most of the features that the Garmin has but im worried about kinks that need to be worked out. Any help on this would be great. I am looking for something under $200 and want the GPS function. I would love a completely water proof watch but it seem like water resistent is the best Im gonna get without spending much more than my budget.

Photocodo
RunAmyRun
Utah, United States
Posted: Fri 08 Nov 2013 05:02 pm GMT   topTop
Good questions. I would love to hear the answers too. I have a Garmin 310 XT and love it. I got it several years ago, and now there are more options. My watch has started having problems, and I am wondering if it is about time to replace it.

What watch does everyone else use?
NZMountainGoat
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Sat 18 Oct 2014 10:59 pm GMT   topTop
I have used the Nike+ watch for just over a year now. It is my first GPS watch so while I cannot compare this to any other GPS watches I can still recommend it based on what the packages of other watches state.

The Nike+ has a USB attachment in one end so you can take it anywhere and don't need any cable to plug it in. On a full charge it is supposed to last 8 Hours. I tested this out over an ultra and it got me through to about 8 hours and 40 minutes before crashing. I was worried that I may have lost my precious data but even by running it flat it retained the data.

It is quite a cheap watch if you compare to Garmin, and it has most of the same features as other watches.

The thing i am worried about is rust that is starting to form around the USB port due to sweet that I don't get rid of after each run. It also has plastic lugs to hold part of the strap down, if not careful they may break (but mine have not).

All in all the Nike+ does the job of a much more expensive watch while also looking fantastic.