home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » headlight

headlight

bellau
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Fri 15 Jan 2010 11:05 am GMT   topTop
Can anyone recommend a good headlight? I am new to ultra running and need all the help I can get! It needs to be light weight and have good power.
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Fri 15 Jan 2010 01:28 pm GMT   topTop
Frankly, I think it's kind of hard to go wrong. I would just go to zombierunner.com and try one of the cheapies first. I've got several...Brunton, Black Diamond, maybe Fenix...I don't remember...all in the $30 range. (I put some in drop bags, loan some out to crew, just accumulated them as spares.) I have never felt I needed the "features" you get by paying more and I agree with the lightweight part. We're talking about two or three AAA batteries in the unit itself, not remote. As for power, the purpose of the LED ultra headlight is to illuminate the ground in a small area at your feet and the cheap ones do that just fine for me. That is, I think you'll find you don't need terrific "power" and brightness. LED lights don't tend to have great beam range and I find myself needing only the low or intermediate power settings. But the basic advice is to try a $30 model first and move up only if it's not satisfactory.
trailhorse
Idaho, United States
Posted: Fri 05 Feb 2010 04:53 am GMT   topTop
If you need more light than just the headlamp, carry a lightweight flashlight. This way you can control where the beam goes and it helps in difficult terrain to have additional light. The headlamp/flashlight combo is the way to go and very versatile.
kapribadi
Alabama, United States
Posted: Mon 26 Jul 2010 08:17 pm GMT   topTop
Simply the best: Petzl MYO RXP, $100. 3xAA batteries, use Lithium batteries (1/3 weight of NiCad or NiMh)

Its programmable and holds constant luminesence until the battery is critically low.
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/myo-series/myo-rxp

[edited: Mon 26 Jul 2010 08:17 pm]