home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Looking for trail shoes with stability for a wide foot

Looking for trail shoes with stability for a wide foot

MrMo1971
Colorado, United States
Posted: Mon 01 Jun 2015 03:41 am GMT   topTop
I have wide feet, particularly in the middle of my feet but with flat arches as well. I have been looking for a while for a trail shoe that is both wide enough as well as provides some degree of stability for a pronator.

I've used Pearl Izumi M2s as well as road shoes from asics (fortitude and the like in 4E). I don't require as much room in the toe box, but do need support around the middle of the foot.

I have had foot pain for a while and desperately want to find some shoes that keep me stable but also are comfortable and soft enough so I don't have as much post run foot pain. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Admin
Utah, United States
Posted: Mon 01 Jun 2015 03:49 am GMT   topTop
Have you thought about using inserts? Maybe a special stability insert inside a wide shoe like the Altra brand. Also glute and core training can help with foot pain (instability cascades down the leg).
MrMo1971
Colorado, United States
Posted: Mon 01 Jun 2015 04:08 am GMT   topTop
Thank you for the info! Can you recommend a brand of inserts?
Admin
Utah, United States
Posted: Tue 02 Jun 2015 12:36 pm GMT   topTop
I would suggest going into a good running store and asking for advice. They should have a nice variety and can recommend something. The type is probably more important than the brand.
Ricky_McLain
Vermont, United States
Posted: Mon 09 Jan 2023 03:06 pm GMT   topTop
I know this is an old thread but I have the same foot shape conditions as the original author so adding my experiences in case it helps others in the future. I use Superfeet inserts, and try to find trail shoes offered in wide. Hoka is getting better at offering some wides, New Balance always does, and Topo has some really great trail shoes that are wider