home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Gear and Products » Need Recommendation for SIZE 8 MENS trail runner

Need Recommendation for SIZE 8 MENS trail runner

bigcity111
California, United States
Posted: Tue 20 Oct 2015 10:04 pm GMT   topTop
Ugh. I've been running in Asics for past 10+ years. The last pair I bought I blew out the side in a couple of months because it probably didn't fit properly. I think Asics changed their sizing so my usual 8 was actually an 8.5. Whatever the reason, I want off Asics and I need a Brand who makes shoes that my size. I am 42, weigh 185 lbs, height 5'11 and yes, my foot is a size 8 (maybe even 7.5). I do have a wide width. I run trails exclusively. I've done a 50K and several marathons. I guess I'd like something light weight and "softer" rather than "harder". I bought a pair of solomons years back and hated them. I run in the San Francisco Bay Area. Help?
turantual
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wed 31 Aug 2016 10:47 pm GMT   topTop
I have short wide feet as well. I typically wear size 7.5 2E or 4E. I've found New Balance has the best selection of shoes that work for me, by a long shot. I have three pairs of NB trail runners right now. Here they are in increasing levels of support: Minimus 10v4 7.5 2E, Fresh Foam Hierro 7.5 4E, New Balance 910v2 7.5 4E. I like the Fresh Foam Hierro best all around. It has a low 4mm heal to toe drop. I've found flatter soles work better for hilly trials, especially going downhill. The Minimus is great when the ground here in Oregon is softer in the spring and fall. The thinner soles and knobby tread makes the Minimus a bit painful on the pads of my feet when the ground is hard in the summer. So they might not be the best choice for you in the Bay Area ( I lived in SF for 15 years). The 910v2 is great if you like something more traditional support combined with good traction on trails.
Sheral
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tue 10 Apr 2018 12:50 am GMT   topTop
Lots of good shoes out there now...thank goodness! I started about ten years ago using Montrails. Then to Asics. Then to Salomon. Then to Pearl Izumi. Now using Altra. Really depends where you are headed philosophically speaking :-) If you want a low drop runner and want to end up at a zero drop, try the Fresh Foam Hierro and then see if you want to go lower. Good luck :-)