home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » Races » New England Races

New England Races

Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Fri 16 Apr 2010 11:46 pm GMT   topTop
Hello All,

I am feeling froggy for my first ultra. I think I want to try the Vermont 50. I was wondering what other ultras are in the New England area. I am in Northern Maine.

I am looking for an ultra that goes either point to point or out and back, or in 10 mile loops. I have no desire to run a race like the Cranberry Island 50 miler, (a 4 mile course run 12.5 times!!!) I think that would be like running on a track for 10 hours!!!

I have run my whole life but started marathons an longer distances only recently. I ran Sugarloaf last year in 4:42 (my first) I will be doing Sugarloaf in Maine this May and Mt Desert island in Arcadia in October. I want to try going longer.

Thanks in Advance!!
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Mon 19 Apr 2010 12:05 pm GMT   topTop
You do know about the Pineland Farms 50K/50M near Gray, right?
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Mon 19 Apr 2010 03:29 pm GMT   topTop
THANKS!! That could be a possibility. I thought that was a short loop race, but after looking at the web site I see it isn't.

THANKS!
Honkey
Honkey
Maine, United States
Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 01:54 am GMT   topTop
UPDATE.....

I did the Pineland Farms 50 mile race this Sunday. www.pinelandfarms.com

1- I can't say enough good things about the race. It was a well thought out course. The aid stations were AWESOME!

2-It was my first 50 miler, I had only run 2 marathons before and ran/walker 36 miles in a training run (that took 7.5 hrs on mountainous logging roads)
I am a slow marathon runner at that, 4.5 hrs average, so I was looking to just finish the 50 miler within the 13 hour cutoff and do well (not let it turn into a bloodbath death march)

The experience was a learning experience and very revealing. It was not as tough as I thought it was going to be. I realized that maybe I need trail shoes and I DEFIANTLY need gators. I ended up having to stop and take rocks out of my shoes several times.

All and all it was a good time, and I will be back for more.
zhainerobenson
Illinois, United States
Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 01:44 am GMT   topTop
Obstacle Course Training has skyrocketed in popularity. This year there will be more than a million people climbing, running, rolling and crawling through obstacle races across the U.S.

For more info: http://www.conqueranycourse.com

[edited: Mon 18 Jun 2012 01:46 am]