home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » 10 Hour Run

10 Hour Run

alowrun
Massachusetts, United States
Posted: Wed 25 Nov 2009 06:43 pm GMT   topTop
Hi:
I have never completed an Ultra. I have completed 11 marathons, but regularly run on rugged trails in the Northeast.

Myself and three (3) of my running friends from past marathons are planning a run/hike from sunrise to sunset in December, all which will take place in in a large reservation in Massachusetts.

I am looking for any and all advice in preparing for, completing, and maybe enjoying, this grand adventure.

Thanks in advance!
-A.Low
ajj
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wed 25 Nov 2009 07:04 pm GMT   topTop
Nutrition, hydration, electrolytes. Learning about what your body needs and what it can handle in these areas is the main reason for doing the run in the first place, if you're thinking about a future ultra. So.....work out what you what to try and how you will make it available. Support from friends, stash in advance, loop course that brings you by a car periodically? If you're training for an ultra and not a backpacking adventure, I figure you're not talking about carrying a big pack.

Just resolve that it will be an educational experience and plan from there. Good luck to you.
JoJo
JoJo
United Kingdom
Posted: Wed 25 Nov 2009 10:11 pm GMT   topTop
How long in distance is the Ultra?

I have taken 10 hours to complete a race before and the biggest mistake I made was to not take in enough fuel in the final 15km or so. I was ok, but found the last hour very draining indeed! So my advice is the same as aji, which is to keep fueled all the way. Although you probably know this after runing 11 marathons!!

Is the run/hike the ultra? Or is that training?
antil0ck
Washington, United States
Posted: Fri 16 Jul 2010 01:40 am GMT   topTop
Like all of the other posts, make sure you have plenty of hydration and fuel. The biggest mistake first ultra runners make is not to take into account that most likely there will be very few aid stations if any along the way. Unlike a marathon where there are plenty of aid stations along the course. Prior to taking on this ultra challange, you should get familiar with what your body can and cannot talorate. How much fuel, liquids you body needs per hour and under what weather conditions. Keep a log of what foods work and do not work. You shold be drinking plenty of fluids so that you never really feel thirsty. 4oz per 15 minutes is a good place to start.

There is so much to say about ultra running and the cautions and risks that come with it. You will learn so much from your 1st ultra and take home with you a better understaning of what your body is capable of doing. I cold type for hours about tips and tricks of ultra running.

Good luck!

Antil0ck