home |
Trail & Ultra Running Forums Index » How To Ultra » Ultra training is beating me up. Suggestions?

Ultra training is beating me up. Suggestions?

Lzzy
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thu 08 Jun 2017 03:19 pm GMT   topTop
I am training for my first 50-miler, and I have only done one trail marathon previously. I am about two months into training, the race is Sept. 9th, and my body feels like it can't keep up with the building weekly mileage. My basic schedule is: long runs on Saturdays; shorter runs on Sundays; mid-distance runs Tuesday through Thursday; rest days on Mondays and Fridays. I hydrate and eat during my long runs, and drink a protein shake after. I do little more than maybe walk the dogs on rest days (sometimes climb). And yet I feel like I'm just getting broken down. My legs are constantly tired, and I haven't felt fully recovered in time for the next run in weeks. Is this normal? Should there be a turning point here soon?
Yotech2
Australia
Posted: Wed 17 Nov 2021 12:40 am GMT   topTop
Sounds like your body is trying to tell you something. There are so many variables that can cause fatigue. For me, whenever I don't get a good sleep for a few nights in a row, I really feel it. I feel sluggish on my training runs and my heart rate is about 10-20 BPM higher than usual. Maybe you're doing your runs at a higher intensity than is required/sustainable at the moment?

It's fine to run on tired legs, but if you are constantly feeling sluggish and not recovering sufficiently, something is going to give way eventually.